Sign in to follow this  
tide12

fishing on monday

Alright, I'm going fishing on Monday at a state park with a fairly big lake and I was thinking of using a crankbait and when reeling it in let it sink every 3 ticks or so.  Would this be good or should I go with a spinner bait or some type of worm and what color?  Weather should be about 65 or 70 and sunny.  Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say, really wanna catch my first bass in a few years.    

Hey tide12,

First, welcome to the forum!

Before we can answer your question, where are you going to be fishing (state or lake)? We'll be able to give you a little more insight if we know where you are!

Now keep in mind, my advise is coming from MD.

I'm guessing the water temps are going to be somewhere in the low to mid 50's so your crankbait technique should work.

For me, as long as the water temps are where I think they are, I would use a spinnerbait with a slow/medium retreive. I'd also try a t-rigged tube pitching around cover or a trick worm or Senko would work well too. I'm sure others closer to you will be able to help out a little more, but I hope my input helps! Just remember, let the bass tell you what mood they're in and adjust from there. Let us know how you do!

I might be a little off here,but if you are having 70 degree days water temps should be getting into upper 50s.I would be looking at one lure for sure a Rat-L-Trap.I'm not sure what colors would work good in Alabama but if you are new to bass fishing and haven't caught many bass a Rat-L-Trap would be a good begining lure that is easy to fish and catches fish well.Just throw it and retrieve it only fast enough to feel some vibration in your rod tip.In other words a slow to medium retrieve.I would think craw colored cranks might work well down there.

I'm not much of a crankbait guy... but the others are right, they work. If you don't get into some fish with the cranks, by all means, T-rig a lizard. Lizards are king of spring everywhere I have ever fished in the southern half of the country. As far as colors go, if water is stained to murky, things like Pumkin-chartruse or cotton candy-chartruse and even sapphire blue or black & blue... if water is clear, try smoke blue, salt & pepper, cotton candy (w/o chartruse) or plain old pumkinseed. (those are all standard zoom colors) If you suspect the active fish are deeper, same thing, only C-rig the lizards.

(watermelon and any of it's varieties are great colors in most lakes, but I didn't list them because I normally catch more during spring on the colors I did list)

Enjoy Monday, we'll all be thinking about you while we are at work! :(

Guest avid

You've got the right idea about varying the retrieve with the crankbait.  Try different things and see what works.  Spinnerbait and worm are also excellent choices.  Keep a positive attitude, have confidence.  You'll get 'em.

PS