Sign in to follow this  
Redtail

Rookie Question : Secondary Point

I'm sure this is obvious to most, but I read an article where he referred to swimming a jig over secondary points after the spawn.

What is a Secondary Point?

As Always  Thanks!

There are main lake points, which are the big ones pointing out towards the main lake.

Secondary points are points within a bay, cove or creek which point out into the middle of the creek, cove, arm, channel, etc. and are not in the main lake.

I would put a map up that as the actual showing of these points, but i cant find one accesibe right now.

This question has been asked alot,that's okay.I have tried to explain it,but I get to technical.I heard somebody say look at a tree.The trunk is the main channel.The big branches would be the  tributaries or bays,these would be where main lake points evolve.The smaller limbs would be where the secondary points evolve.

Now that you know what they are, this is why it makes a difference:

Lakes that support largemouth, smallmouth and Kentucky bass, walley and stripers will concentrate each species in different places. Largemouth tend to be found in quiet water and on secondary points. Creek channels, submerged road beds and ditches are also points of attraction. These bass tend to seek cover (grass, lilly pads and other vegetation), woody structure (timber and stumps) and manmade structures (boat docks).

Most of the other species will stage near primary points or in open water. Smallmouth and Kentucky are more likely to be found in deeper, colder water associated with steep, rocky points in any current that might be present. They will also concentrate on isolated humps, large boulders and rock piles. Smallmouth are rarely associated with "cover".

Walley are usually found near similar structure and can be caught on the same baits or lures that we use for smallmouth fishing. Transition and deep pools or depressions are also prime locations. When smallmouth and walley are found in exactly the same location, the bass tend to be shallow and the walley deeper.

Stripers suspend in open water and follow schools of baitfish around rather than waiting in ambush for their prey to appear. Kentucky bass are sometimes found in open water, too. They will follow baitfish away from the comforts of cover and structure. I have occasionally caught Kentucky bass and white bass when fishing for striper on a lake, but never largemouth and only rarely smallmouth.

So, if your target is largemouth bass, I recommend concentrating on secondary points and coves. If it's smallmouth you are after, head to deeper water.