Sign in to follow this  
marlboroman

Pick my fishing spot - w/ picture

Ok guys I fish this lake very often... But this year I can't seem to get the bass in the boat. During the summer months when it is hot you can just murder the bass on buzz baits here. Last year I took home severak 7+ lber's  Yes I said take home, this lake is river fed.... anyways I have a sat image of the lake and small lines "colored" to show what is what on the lake... I don't use a depth finder so I fish by sight only...  Pick your spot by sight only and give me some insite where I might pull some in this time a year..

O yea the river is coming in it now!!!! I went this past weekend and NOTHING.. :(

fishing.jpg

The surest and most obvious location of course is the "River Bend" (left center).

The river bend is a year-round site because the inside of the bend produces

a shallow delta that provides warm water habitat, while the outside of the river channel

carves a deep drop-off that provides cold water habitat (on that you can bet the ranch).

Unfortunately, a lake chart without contour lines (depthlines) has only limited value.

For instance, probably 80% of the stumpfields found in the arms can be eliminated at home,

without wetting the boat. On the contrary, the best weed beds, the best wood, rocks

and bottom breaks can only be pinpointed on-site.

Roger

I would pound the western bank where all the colors are together. I would hit it with tubes, crankbaits and jigs around the stumps.  Outside turn of a river with all that cover and ambush points, I can't see how you can go wrong just going up and down that west bank.  I like the part with the rocks, then stumps, all in deep water.

I think you misunderstand the lake... this lake is not always fed by the river.... only when the river gets high enough the lake is fed.

As for the west bank it is a nice place to fish, most action i get on the lake is "looking at the pic" north side starting at the river inlet headin west to the first finger.... I usually throw a buzz bait in the summer months there in the early morniing and have a limit by 9 am.... My problem I am having now is I never fished this lake in the winter to early spring time "this time of year" I have been 3 times and caught 2 fish this year... I will try the other parts like u guys stated and see what happens...

BTW where is a good place to buy MAPS with details ?

You mentioned a river at the onset, so I presumed this was a riverine lake.

I should have asked you whether it's a 'natural lake' or an 'impoundment' (manmade reservoir),

it makes a big difference.

BTW where is a good place to buy MAPS with details ?

If it's a large lake, the depth lines may be charted on GPS software.

GPS software is better than a hardcopy, because you can plot the coordinates at home

on strange lakes you've never seen. An example of a GPS disk is Garmin's "US Recreational Lakes".

Roger