Sign in to follow this  
sean0920

how do you all rig. . . . .

Sean,

From Gary Y's web site. Visit it and you can see the different colors of the Hula Grub and all of his baits.

How I fish the Hula Grub: The real secret behind the Hula Grub is that it can be effectively used to target multiple strike zones and can mimic a variety of different baits that Bass find irresistible. For example, the front of the hula grub when reeled slowly on the lake bottom looks like a quickly retreating crawdad, pulling the lure in sporadic bursts the Hula can be easily mistaken for a frog.

If your familiar with fishing "jig & pig" combos, those same techniques carry right over for fishing with a Hula Grub.

For the tests I used:

Complete Rig for fishing with the Hula Grub

Rod Gloomis MBR783C (6'6)

Reel Shimano Calais  

Line 10lb Trilene XL

To use the Hula Grub effectively to get horizontal strikes it is best to use a 3/8 to 1/2 oz football head. This head will have the weight to bring the Jig quickly to the target area as well as plow through obstructions you are sure to find at the waters bottom. A good way to fish for the low hanging Bass is cast over the target area, allow the Hula to hit the bottom, and slowly (I mean sloooooowly) crawl the hula on the ground back to you. 10lb line is a good choice because it is inevitable you will snag and with 10lb line it is possible to pull out and save the lure. When this happens it is necessary to check the angle of the hook, as it is common that the pressure from your battle to free the lure has severely bent the hook. Using a sensitive rod is not absolutely necessary but a big plus! With the Gloomis MBR783C IMX rod I was able to easily differentiate bumping into obstacles on the lake floor and slight hits from fish.

My favorite setup for "Hula Grubbing" includes a good casting combo

The other way to get hits on a Senko is simply placing the falling Hula in front of the bass. Many times big fish have taken the Hula seconds after splashdown. At first I thought it was just plain luck, but now I've learned that vertical Hula dropping is one of the best ways to target multiple depths.  ;)

It's great as a jig trailor too.  The "skirt" on the top of the hula grub adds a lot of color and bulk to the existing skirt.  The tails, of course, add some great action.