Sign in to follow this  
jlcjrbal

Keeping a Journal

I have been keeping notes on just about all I have done as for as work or a hobby. I was wondering if anyone kept a written journal on there stratigies , equipment  used for a special situation etc...

I have been keeping a journal on just future equipment needs as well as lures and  tactics, Click and paste works really well   Joseph

Guest ouachitabassangler

I carry a voice activated recorder to take notes when fishing a new lake. I've fished my home lake so long there's no point in writing anything down. I just know where to go when.

Jim

I know ALOT of guys who do.....

I was using a Palm Pilot my brother gave me...

It is somewhere in the bottom of Lake Michigan right now though...

I keep a journal when I'm fishing new places. This site has a great fishing log that I use.

The only time I record anything on lakes that I'm familar with is when I catch anything 3+ lbs.  

I was actually using my Dell handheld for it but I was a dummy and left it at work one night I had it for about a month. I miss having it but I would up just getting a notebook for some enteries. I am going to start fishing some different lakes and trout streams in my area so I will go from there.. Joseph

Posted by: DELee36 Posted on: Today at 7:49am

I was using a Palm Pilot my brother gave me...

It is somewhere in the bottom of Lake Michigan right now though...

Was that because you go so mad at it because it wouldn't work right or did it just go in by accident?  :-?

I know that if something was working right (especially tech. stuff) its going in the lake!

Guest the_muddy_man

Ive been keepin a log ( Downloaded it from here) and I customized it to my style of fishing and it is a huge help in planning trips based on patterns under the same types of conditions and gives you a look at what works for you and what doesnt

I dont know about this palm pilot business the nuns in catholic school told us that sort of thing makes you blind

Guest bigtex

I have printed off a few here but I have not used them yet.  I will start in the morning.

If you have Microsoft Works here is one I made that you can customize however you want:

Fishing Log

I fill it out from the list view and them print it out from the form view and keep it in a binder.

I always have kept a log in notebook at home, but I think the log that bassresource has will help alot.

Ive used the Journal integrated into MS Outlook for quite sometime. I take notes on the water and every evening I will update it with all the info. You can link to maps, photos, etc.

I honestly believe that if you aren't taking notes/journal your learning curve will be much much longer in becoming a better angler.  To the guy that says he only records trips of fish 3lbs or better.  I will say that not catching fish is very good information.  FOr example if you suck in the summertime and throw DD22's along bluffs and don't catch nothing.  You need to take a note to remind yourself that DD22's in the summer don't work and to try something else.  Bass patterns run in cycles EVERY YEAR!!  Yeah there are some guys like ouchita that can find them but I promise you if you take notes you can find them better!  If your good thats good.  But being great is better.  It's all about improving upon what you already know.   I can't tell you how much my notes have taken me to fish and reminded me of things I needed to try.  The single most important thing you need in your notes is water temperature.  Match up the water temperates from year to year (within the season).  If you match up week2 February with next years week2 February you WILL NOT be as accurate as weather changes (some years colder/warmer/rainier than others).  

T Mike