Sign in to follow this  
Other.

Ill do the experiment.

Alot have been asking the question about a hooks life and when it will hust and deplet. I have a extra fish tank and I will write up a diary I guess you could say with pictures. There for the question well finnally be answerd I just need your help

1. Is this a stupied idea?

2. What kind of hook should I use (Brand, Size, Color)

3. Filter on or off

4. Level of PH

5. Any clorean?

6. Added material that you might find in a lake.

7. Current or no current.

8. How many days between observance

9. Any other information.

Are you thinking of the hook depleting a fish's mouth or just depleting?

Are you asking how long before a hook will rust out?

Is that what you mean by "hust and deplet"??

You're tank isn't a good idea because stomach acids, enzymes, etc are a huge part of the hook dissolving.

The confermasion that that it happens. I'v always wonderd if when i hook a fish deep and cut the line.

If the hook rusted out before the fish starved.

You're tank isn't a good idea because stomach acids, enzymes, etc are a huge part of the hook dissolving.

I think you might be right on that one. The acids from the stomach could help It faster. I could always let there be more PH though. And I ment rust for hust and deplet is a word that means being used up or disappearing.

I think you might be right on that one. The acids from the stomach could help It faster. I could always let there be more PH though. And I ment rust for hust and deplet is a word that means being used up or disappearing.

deplet?    do you mean deplete...    or is it depleat?

Use the eagle claw red hooks. I've lost 10 packs in two weeks on a sunken christmas tree and I've been thinking about raising it but don't know if they will be any good.  ;) I don't want to go through all the effort if there will be nothing there. I've probably lost about $30 worth of lures on it too.

Deplete-To lesson in quantity, content, power, or value.

Raising you're PH is a good idea (unless you have fish iin there) but still won't be close to the same environment as one with acids and enymes.  Plus lake PH's , oxidization rates,etc. are different.

Saltwater hooks can be gone in weeks.

If there is nothing else in the tank (or if there is) maybe you could also try embedding a hook in some kind of meat or something and see if it dissovles faster than a hook just laying or hanging in the tank. I really can't think of a way to simulate stomach acid, althoughI think MythBusters used soda on TV for an experiment of some type.

Come to think of it, we could contact Mythbusters and have them do it. I know they wouldn't do it unless there is an explosion involved though ;D

This is a fish my buddy caught last year.

Right at 10 pounds.

It had about an inch of the shank of an offset hook with a foot of line still tied on sticking out of it's rear.

post-2142-13016300499_thumb.gif

I doubt that hooks dissinegrate in the time it takes a bass to digest one.  My girlfriend caught a 2 lber a month ago that had mono coming out of the rectum and when she pulled on it out came the shank of the hook.  Unfortunately she tore the gills up so it wasnt a matter of it living or not.  But there was also part of what looked like a ten inch worm in the gut when I cut it open.  I know some waters are different but this is just what I witnessed.

Corey

Well, this sounds like an interesting experiment.  Just a couple of additions.  First you don't want to go to higher pH, you want lower pH if you want to simulate a stomach.  Acid is low pH.  I believe a human stomach has a pH of around 2 (pure water is 7; water exposed to air dissolves CO2, which turns to carbonic acid and so the pH goes down to between 5 and 6; many lakes will have an alkaline pH of 8-9 due to various dissolved salts).  I don't know what the pH is in a fish's stomach, but pH 2 might be a reasonable guess.  Things like lemon juice, soda, and vinegar are typically only pH 4, so pH 2 is pretty acidic.  In fact, pH 2 is 100 times more acidic than pH 4.  I'm not sure how you'll get to pH 2 with typical household products.  

Second, don't worry about enzymes.  Enzymes are proteins that "digest" organic molecules like other proteins (in other words, meat).  There are no enzymes in a fish that will do anything to metal.  

BTW, I'm a chemical engineer.  So trust me on this one.  I'm still low on the learning curve when it comes to bass fishing, but I do know chemistry  ;)

Sorry for the geeky post.  

Sounds like a little waste of time to me.  Unless you can get the environment right, what are you really going to learn.  And after you learn it, then waht.  What are you going to be able to do with the info?  Ok so the hook dissolves in 4 months.......OK so what?

Better idea, Wash you car! ;)

even though I don't believe that an experiment can simulate the real conditions a hook is under when in a fishes gut/mouth...if it WAS done right, it could be an answer to the constantly recurring battle of how long it takes a hook to rust and leave a fishes mouth.

Its not like the guy is trying to break new scientific ground...just a test to see how long it really takes instead of guessing about it.

Its not going to change the world but it might change his and others opinion on the matter.

Well, this sounds like an interesting experiment.  Just a couple of additions.  First you don't want to go to higher pH, you want lower pH if you want to simulate a stomach.  Acid is low pH.  I believe a human stomach has a pH of around 2 (pure water is 7; water exposed to air dissolves CO2, which turns to carbonic acid and so the pH goes down to between 5 and 6; many lakes will have an alkaline pH of 8-9 due to various dissolved salts).  I don't know what the pH is in a fish's stomach, but pH 2 might be a reasonable guess.  Things like lemon juice, soda, and vinegar are typically only pH 4, so pH 2 is pretty acidic.  In fact, pH 2 is 100 times more acidic than pH 4.  I'm not sure how you'll get to pH 2 with typical household products.  

Second, don't worry about enzymes.  Enzymes are proteins that "digest" organic molecules like other proteins (in other words, meat).  There are no enzymes in a fish that will do anything to metal.  

BTW, I'm a chemical engineer.  So trust me on this one.  I'm still low on the learning curve when it comes to bass fishing, but I do know chemistry  ;)

My dad has a hot tub and he is always adding stuff in because the PH was off and his hands turned to raisins. So I have the materials to lower or increase PH and also I know how to measure it. For who ever the thing about Myth Busters is right. Heck it doesn't need a explosion. I see a lot of stuff on that show that don't even show any danger. Lets all email them! ;D

Sounds like a little waste of time to me.  Unless you can get the environment right, what are you really going to learn.  And after you learn it, then waht.  What are you going to be able to do with the info?  Ok so the hook dissolves in 4 months.......OK so what?

Better idea, Wash you car!  

Sometimes its ok to learn things for the hell of it.

Sounds like a good idea to me. However I dont think it really matters about the pH and things in the aquarium it would probobly be much easier to put a hook in a jar of lemon juice or something like that even though its not quite as acidic as stomach acid is it would still give you a general idea. Also I think I remember discussing the pH of the stomach acid of a salmon or something in one of my bio classes and it was around 3.

My dad has a hot tub and he is always adding stuff in because the PH was off and his hands turned to raisins. So I have the materials to lower or increase PH and also I know how to measure it. For who ever the thing about Myth Busters is right. Heck it doesn't need a explosion. I see a lot of stuff on that show that don't even show any danger. Lets all email them! ;D

Yep, but I bet he doesn't have anything that will get to pH 2.  He wouldn't have to worry about his hands turning to raisins, because after about 15 minutes most of the skin would be burned and peeling.