Sign in to follow this  
tag_13

raising fish

i am thinking about raising a largemouth. what steps should i take to give it a safe living environment.  i just want to put it in something small like a pool or somethng

Unless you have the money, experience and  scientific expertise of Cabela's, BPS or a state funded fishery, bass don't do very well in an aquarium.

That's not funny.

You can keep a bass in an aquarium, they just don't seem to do well after a while. I know several guys that have bass, but they don't have the color you expect in a natural environment.

If you are going to try it, be sure to have some cover for the fish to relate too.  Be sure to have a good supply/supplier of food.  Also, be sure that your tank/pool is aerated and large enough.

It's expensive. Bass can eat 3 times their body weight a day and it needs to be a variety of stuff. They are more sensitive to change in their tank then the fish you get at the pet store.  You really need to know your stuff before trying it. Also make sure it's legal in your state.

i have a spot i fish regularly super clear water tons and tons bluegils sunfish everywhere

well a few years ago there dike broke dew to flooding

i went down there and there were tons and tons of baby fish every where scopped up about 20 bluegills

1 bass  took them home all the fish did great split them in to 3 aquariums

he went from 4 inches to 12 in a few months

i could not over feed it

i feed him nightcrawlers everyday

every morning when i got up there would be less and less bluegills in there with him

pretty soon i had no bluegills and a big bass

i had to let him go he was eatin me out of house and home plus he was growing quite fast