Sign in to follow this  
st.croix

summer Bassin

aright its been really hard to catch bass the past week or two, it has been about 10 degrees over normal here so the bass are out of sight. I have been fishing the DT14 and had a little luck with it but still havent really found out exactly what the bass are doing and how to get them up.

any tips on where to find them and what to throw to them when it gets hot in the middle day like this?

All I can say is find a really deep dropoff with cover present and cast that deep diving crankbait. You can also try a c-rigged worm, but make sure you fish it both down and up the dropoff.

I like Rapala crankbaits. They reach their intended depth much faster than many crankbaits on the market. They also stay in the strike zone longer than most crankbaits which equates to a better chance of a fish striking the bait. The only bad thing I have heard about Rapala cranks is that the bills of their crankbaits are a little on the weak side, but I have personally never had a problem with them. they are good fish catchers for me. I have many in the DT-4, DT-6, and DT-10 series.

If you plan on using a crank for deep water bassin', I suggest a Norman DD22. It's depth range is as deep as 17 ft. You can get it to go a little deeper by using lighter lb. test line. You can also achieve a little more depth by sticking your rod tip in the water.

Another thing about deep water crankin' is that you NEED the right equipment for it or else you are gonna get tired...fast. A rod with a slower action tip is a good idea. Good luck.  ;)

there isnt 1 brand thats better then all others so i would try a few different 1s

bandit, rapala, timber tiger,bomber

it boils down to personal favorites [those are my fav]

as for the lucky craft and the other super expensive never owned 1 cant comment on them

c-rig and dd22's

however i think that lucky craft makes the best cranks.  if they are worth the extra money over some others is another matter all together and im on the fence on that one.

matt

#1 GYCB Fat Ika

#2 6" Senko

#3 Micro Munch Tackle El Gordo tube

I'm fishing structure. This is the very best time of year to fish soft plastics.

Man cranks better be tied on one of your rods in the summer time. If not, then you are missing catchable fish. Summer time and fall time are prime crank bait fishing times. Rattle traps are good to have on if you happen upon a school of fish busting the surface. Get that trap into that area guaranteed hookup. They cast further then most cranks and that is why they should always be tied on one of your rods this time of year. Of course worms are also great in the summer.

Someone mentioned using dd22's and how they are tiresome to use. Well, maybe so if you are reeling them all the way in with only the reel. First make a long cast. Then reel down as fast as you can to get the bait started downward then sweep the rod like you would when C-rigging. When you are finished with that sweep reel in the slack while keeping pressure on your crank then move the rod out again for another sweep. Sweep the rod again. By pulling the crank you are making it dive down and bounce off the bottom hopefully and are not tiring yourself out in the process. That has worked for me.

any tips on where to find them and what to throw to them when it gets hot in the middle day like this?