Sign in to follow this  
Deuceu72

Finding Fish During reservoir Drawdown

What would be your strategy to find fish when the reservoir is being drawn down by the city? We have a reservoir that is losing about 4 in of water per day. Your main target species is the smallmouth(Are you listening RW?) Lake was almost full capacity in the spring and the city is slowly drawing the water out and now its probably 8 ft below where it was in the early spring. Suggestions?

Go deep immediately!!!

ANYTHING deep.  Holes, creek channels,etc.  These fish are freaking out and retreating to the deepest, safest places they can be find.  Oxygen may be an issue but Some of those more "in the know" can comment on that.

Drawdown is a great time to scout. I know you wanna catch fish and not spend the day riding around so I would recommend using faster moving tecniques to cover alot of water and study the shoreline. Lots of cover will be exposed that you are unable to see at full pond. Keep an eye out for baitfish as they can behave a little strange during low water. Low water can be every bit as productive as any other condition. One just never knows. Check out places that you've caught em before and see why they were hanging around there. Take pictures if you're able to. Fall drawdown here at my lake in Va. has been a wonderful outdoor experience for me in the past. Try structures that aren't affected as much by water levels like...points, bluffs, outside bends and mouths of creeks/coves. If these structures don't pay off then fish the "new" shoreline and breaklines that the fish now have available to them. The last few times that I fished in low water situations I was able to catch them on 7" plastic worms and med. diving cranks but as they often say, "Fish your strengths and let the fish tell you what they want."

If you plan on fishig this lake allot I would definitely scout the lake and learn the structure that is normally underwater that is out of water now. Maybe even planting a brushpile here and there is a good idea for later  ;)

But I agree with fishing deep. If the current is new to the lake the fish are not going to be biting well. If it is has been going on for a while though then the fish will learn to use the current to ambush prey. Keep that in mind when looking for areas. Perhaps if their is a funnel area like between two land masses that is narrower then anywwhere else? Points are good to fish if their is current present from the dropping water.

Main thing is make sure you learn spots so when they fill the lake back up again you will have some spots to go to.