Sign in to follow this  
Craw

Moon Phases

O.k., so how many of you guys would agree/disagree that the bite is better during full and new moon phases? Or that larger fish become more active during these phases? Also, I've heard that there is a crawfish hatch in every lake and river in the country during the full and new moon. Anyone know?

Don't know about the craw fish hatch, but the moon phase does make a difference.  However, I fish when I can fish.  If the chart says it is going to be a bad day, I still fish if I can, and have had good success on some of those days.  I suppose there will always be the rebellious fish who refuse to conform.

The only time I care to really observe moon tables is when the spawn is fixing to start.   I think moon charts are better suited for tidal waters and salt water fishermen.    

i blieve in the crawfish hatch ........in lakes that have a good population of crawfish and bluegill ...the bluegill will feed heavily on the hatch and the bass will key in on this ... ask the oldtimers that didn't have all these electronics they used other ways to locate fish and they work ...

The bass don't care if the moon is shining, when the water temps get right, they will lay those eggs anyway.

Same applies for crawdads, when conditions are right, they hatch out, even if clouds covers the moon.

The bass don't care if the moon is shining, when the water temps get right, they will lay those eggs anyway.

Same applies for crawdads, when conditions are right, they hatch out, even if clouds covers the moon.

I think the effect of the moon is not related to wheather or not it is covered by clouds or not, it relates to the gravitational pull. But I think you were onto something in your earlier post about tidal waters being affected much more than ponds, lakes, etc.

I say fish when you can fish.

Fish and crawdads are gonna spawn whether or not theres a moon influence.    Thus why I said the lunar charts, astro charts are for tidal fishermen and salt water fishermen, they are the ones who recieve the tidal influx.

You better believe a river that runs into the ocean is observed by fishermen, current postions the bait and fish when tides come in and goes out.   Those are critical times for getting active fish.   Lunar charts and tides are very key.

The same applies to lakes who release water or generate power, current postions active fish, but none of these areas have anything to do with tidal movements and moon phases, they are man made decisions when to generate and release water which creates current.

O.k., so how many of you guys would agree/disagree that the bite is better during full and new moon phases? Or that larger fish become more active during these phases? Also, I've heard that there is a crawfish hatch in every lake and river in the country during the full and new moon. Anyone know?

I often say "know they bait fish intimately".   If you know what forage is doing or supposed to do, you should be able to stay on bass throughout the seasonal changes.

Here is a little article that might shed some light on crawdads.   Most crawdad hatches in Tx occurs in the middle of June most years.

And when that happens, we tie on MudBugs made by Fred Arborgast lures.

http://www.davidlnelson.md/Cazadero/Crawdad.htm

Hookem

Matt

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.solunar.com/Bucher.htm

My opinion is when the water reaches the temps needed to spawn the bass start to move to their spawning grounds. I really beleave they lay their eggs on Moon cycles Full and New. I feel they stage and prepare and when the moon is correct they lay eggs. I think this is done in cycles some fish go on the first Full moon when the temps reach the correct temps some go on the New moon and some lag to the second Full moon somewhere around a 29 day process. This is just what I think :-)