Sign in to follow this  
Dane

Ridiculous amounts of weeds

Here's a problem I have never faced, and I hope one or more people here will be able to throw some insight my way.

I live in WI, and usually fish Lake Wissota or the Chippewa River, however my motor has been either out of service or in the shop the past few weeks.  There is another man made lake that I have basically been forced to fish.  It is a shallow (max depth maybe 10ft) lake that has a no wake restriction on it.

Thats no the problem, my boat is a 12 foot steury, which is bulletproof and old enough that jesus probably used it to ski (barefoot, of course). And I just throw the ol' trolling motor behind it and im ready to rock, anyway....

The lake is covered with eurasion water milfoil.  It is absolutely everywhere.  it is also combined with a slimy kind of algae that floats and covers the surface of 35% of the lake, which is bad for me, but its basically bass heaven.  the largest I have caught in the lake so far is a 4 pounder on a texas rigged 7" gulp worm fishing a laydown.

The temps are in the 90's almost every day, unseasonably warm for cheesehead country, and I am simply looking for help on a few things.

1. How can I fish under the slime and algae

2. how can I keep weeds from grabbing my slip sinker

3. any rig i could fish that I may not know or maybe overlooked that would help me?

4. basically any suggestions on how to fish a bass heaven and angler's hell

Guest ouachitabassangler

Lots of algae and true moss usually indicates a very nutrient poor fishery. The lake might be understocked with bass, or they are generally stunted from a broken food chain. I'd think yur biggest problem will be finding bass concentrated enough to catch. I'd head to the mouths of feeder creeks that might still be running and bringing in some nutrient, or find some springs putting cooler water in the lake. From there I'd locate any channel you can find and the first structure along it, like a rock or hole. Use lures you have confidence in. My choice would be a plastic worm or small crankbait.

Jim

i understand what you are saying about the nutrients, however there are a few things i should point out.

the lake is fed by a river about 300 yards away, i dont know how, but all that stands between the 2 is a county road and 2 bars.  

also there is no structure in the lake, only milfoil every 6 inches.  which means crankbaits are out, as are anything that isnt at least labeled weedless.

there are areas without the weeds, but it is too shallow to be of any use, especially in the heat.

i pretty much understand the food chain is shot, due to the extreme overpopulation of 4-6 inch bluegill.

youd think with muskie, northern, and bass, these guys would be kept in check...

any more suggestios will definately help

Plastic worms with a heavy enough weight to punch through the weeds, if necessary cast high to give tem momentem to punch through the weeds. heavy jigs fished the same way. dont be to concerned about the slop attaching to the weight, if its moving in the water a bass will take it regardless of the algee on the weight. Buzz Baits around the edges of the shallow weed free areas, you will be surprised at the fish you can catch in water that is very shallow. On a heavy algee bloom I have caught Bass up to six lbs. in less than 5 inches of water on a Moss Boss or frog, rat etc. Use weedless topwaters over the weeds and algee, there have been times when I have had a bass blow up on a slop bait and knock it in the air, if this happens get that bait past the spot just as quickly as you can and drag it right over where the blow up occured. I have had to cast over the same spot and watch that lure get knocked into the air 3 or 4 times before the fish could break through and get the bait, use a heavy line and be prepared to dig out the fish if you dont get him up and out right after hooking up. Also I would recommend using a big 12 inch worm, no weight and slowly working it across the top of the weeds hesitating and letting it drop at any opening in the cover. One last sugestion is to go around the lake and use your paddle to make openings in the weeds, you can sit by the opening for a while to let the area calm down after opening it up and then fish it or you can keep moving and make mutiple holes and then come back and fish them. Hope this helps, let us know how you do.

we have a similar lake near us...called Fish Lake...which I sometimes question whether there are actually any fish in Fish Lake...but that is besides the point.

I wont fish the slime and algea...makes a freakin mess, is slimy and gross, and last time I did I ended up with my reel filled with a bunch of dried sticky green gunk it took me forever to get cleaned off the bearings and spindles.

We actually stood there in the boat scratching our heads thinking..."well what the heck to we do with this malarkey?"

I agree with the heavy waited worm...

another method I have used is a Senko...weighted ( Texas) and unweighted both...cast it out and let it flop on top of the weeds... softly jerk it across the surface of the weeds where they actually reach the surface to get a snake wiggly kind of motion...when the lure reaches a pocket between the weeds let it fall down between the weeds...then pull it back up on top and continue on like that...I have had moderate success with that.

Don't overlook the simple Johnson spoon with a pork frog.................it's a bait that has passed the test of time, been around a long time & is effective in situation you describe.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I'm convinced you are wasting time on that lake. Any lake in WI only 10 feet deep is likely to freeze solid every year, killing off any baitfish and probably any bass in there. You would be better off to keep looking for a lake or pond with better signs of bass. Maybe try fishing the river across the way.

Jim

This first thing you need to ask yourself...."is it worth it?"  Are you noticing a lot of action in the slop?  There is this one place where I fish (same piece of water where my Challenge Results pics were taken) that has this one section that is completely overgrown w/ hornwort (coontail).  The stuff is so thick that almost nothing will work.  Pretty much anything w/ a trebble is out of the picture........the only reason I consistantly fish the area is the sheer amount of action I see in it (it's just too d**n tempting).  So far only three things have done me any good.  when the water is up, it gives me about 2-3 inches of clearance above the weeds where I can either work a popper or a very slowly worked jointed rapala.  During normal conditions, there is no clearance and you can see the slop sticking out of the water.  For this Ive been using  these Devil's Tounge (I believe that there are other brands that make similar models) floating worms T-rigged weightless.  W/ a light enough line and hook, the worm will stay on the surface making it almost completely  snag free (only drawback is that you cant cast the thing very far)...............just an idea.

-J

I fished a lake similar to the one you're talking about last weekend. What worked for me was finding some weeds on the bottom and slow rolling a spinnerbait just over the top. The water was about five feet deep, but I only fished three feet deep due to the weeds. I would try a spinnerbait. What also worked for me was weightless soft plastic worms and all the other locals were catching tons of bass on weightless flukes. Give these to lures a shot too. The whole lake can't be 100% covered with slop, so any pockets where you can cast are your best bet. I tried using a weight, but due to the many weeds, it was impossible to fish correctly. Spinnerbaits or weightless soft plastics are your best bet in my opinion. If you can fish when it starts raining, I would put on a popper. I found that I could fish it through all the slop. Sure I had to pull off weeds every cast, but as long the bait is still making a popping sound, the bass will still hit and you should fish it right through those weeds.

thanks for all the tips.

i went out today to try my hand before work from the shoreline.  Frog at first light with a hit, but spit the hook out before i set the hook (i cant believe i waited too long!), then i went with a weightless centipede plastic and rolled it across the tops of the weeds in an area without slop about a cast length away from shore, and sure as hell, i guess everything went right.

barometric pressure was low, 29.8, but rising

air temp was around 70 instead of 95

anyways i hauled in a largie that was big for me, didnt have a scale or anything, but compared with the 4 pounder that i caught a week back, id put this one a little heavier but nothing way bigger.

caught a dink and my hour of killin bass was over.

to answer some questions, yeah its worth it, its the only place i have to fish now, when when the choices are fish or dont fish, its not a hard decision.

and the lake doesnt freeze solid in winter due to something that im not sure what the purpose is for.  its literally a square, cement sided hole approx 8ftx8ft with a steel guard on top, water rushes in and i dont know where it goes.

anyways, thanks for the help, im gonna take all the suggestions next time i bring out the boat, and i'll give some feedback on what worked or didnt, also snap a few pics and let you know exactly what i am talking about.

my two baits for those sort of conditions are frogs (when appropriate) and fat ikas.  i fish the ika by dragging it through the weeds and letting it fall in any pockets, or along any weed edges.  it has enough weight to get through most algae etc.  deadly in my experience.

matt

Guest the_muddy_man

Just invite a ridiculous amount of hippies to the lake they will smoke up a ridiculous amount of weed and then the fishin will get better

i understand what you are saying about the nutrients, however there are a few things i should point out.

the lake is fed by a river about 300 yards away, i dont know how, but all that stands between the 2 is a county road and 2 bars.

also there is no structure in the lake, only milfoil every 6 inches. which means crankbaits are out, as are anything that isnt at least labeled weedless.

there are areas without the weeds, but it is too shallow to be of any use, especially in the heat.

i pretty much understand the food chain is shot, due to the extreme overpopulation of 4-6 inch bluegill.

youd think with muskie, northern, and bass, these guys would be kept in check...

any more suggestios will definately help

In this crap I use a weird rig but it works

needed

bobber split shots hook of choice and a stick bait

I take said stick bait and rig it so when it is in the water it will be floating just over the weeds underneath

about 1/2 way down ill rig 4 or 5 split shots (between bobber and bait)

and then just launch it out... and let the weights pull the stick bait through the crap

the bobber will not let the bait go down and you should catch fish

I read about this tip in bassmaster mag last year and have used it to much success in weedy sloppy areas

bobbin.jpg

whoa, definately gonna try that bad boy out...  gotta work tonight though, being a DJ is tough work, work all night, sleep and fish all day...

Everybody, tell a record store owner in your area, i have ridiculous amounts of weed, and they need to give me a call so we can take care of this problem