Sign in to follow this  
spotaholic

Night Fishing Questions

I am not new to bass fishing but I am new to night fishing. My questions are directed to those that Bass fish at night. I am looking for some info on how to choose locations that are best for night time fishing and the lure choices you make for those location. Please do not take this wrong but I am not looking for the answers that someone read out of Bass magazines but solid info from people that do this. I fished last night and found some fish (5 fish@ 11.5 lbs) but from what I understand night fishing has the potential to be some of the most productive for large bass . I caught fish on a C Rig and a Spinnerbait but wonder if there is some other ways that I am missing, Best Lure selection and colors would be great. I went out with the basics black zoom u tale and a black and red spinnerbait. Thanks in advance.

There is lots of info if you use search option, quite a few posts have covered this.  as for me, in short

I fish flats and especially the deep edges at night.  I use the same techniques, lures and tactics as I do during the day.  I cover those flats first and then will go in search of if they aren't there.  Rock piles, points,etc.

For me, night is not all about black lures and topwater bites.

I fish the night as I would the day.

It's much different for me than it is for LBH.  I fish 7 or 8 golf course ponds every night from about 8-9:30.  I have found in these small ponds that the fish are feeding almost at the bank.  Super, super shallow.  I have had no luck with soft plastics, but very good numbers and size (for me) with topwater and spinnerbaits.  It's almost like a rerun.  Same results every night with the same lures.

post-5390-130163005077_thumb.jpg

During the summer months in E. Tn. I fish deep points, bluffs and humps at night or day. The only difference is at night I will use larger worms, Zoom Mag II or Ol' Monster in dark colors. Jigs are the same. For spinnerbaits I will use a Colorado blade with a black skirt in heavier sizes. (3/4 to 1 1/2 oz). Use rattles when possible.

I normally do not fish topwaters at night in tournaments, however many fishermen do. As LBJ stated above I would use dark colors.

Use of a blacklight will help to detect bites as long as you fish floresent line and is considered a necessary piece of equipment. Before a night tournament I restring all reels with floresent line.

Hope this helps...................Al

I fish at night 90% of the time. I learned from LBH a while back that night fishing isn't all that different. The only thing I do different is slow down a little more and for the most part I'll use darker colors. There are times when fishing fast works. I've been doing real well with 4" drop shot worms lately so I personally don't think size matters all that much. It's more about locating the fish and presentation but that goes for day time fishing as well. Keep it simple. Do what you're best at.

I love fishing during the daylight hours but right now it's just 2 hot and I'm 2 fair skinned to be out during the heat of the day. Mid july until the very end of august is when I fish at night here in Va.

I fish at night with this in mind...Bass will lay low during the heat of the day and go on the prowl in search of food at night. Bass will use all the same structure and cover that they use during the day but they will also roam areas that they will seldom use during daylight hours. It is these areas that I like to fish. Shallow areas that extend well back from the shoreline. Flats and long slow tapering points are structures that can produce well at night as well as shallow stretches of shoreline with little or no cover. I like to revisit these places at night because the fish may not be up on the flat at 10pm but could be cruising around all over it at midnight. It's crazy how shallow these fish can be after dark. The night bite usually runs in cycles so expect some down time during your outing.

Some other really good places to fish are around marinas. They are pretty well lit up after dark and the lights keep baitfish around all the time. A plastic worm or pig and jig around docks and boat slips will surely get you some bites after dark. If there's no marina near you then look for any dock with lights. Lights in general will attract bait so look for them anywhere.

It's been said alot on this site that the same lures and colors work both day and night. I won't dispute that even though I stick with dark colors. I've seen the fish hit all different lures at night also. My bread and butter lures for night are...

#1-3/8oz. single spin colorado bladed spinnerbait

#2-7" or 10" plastic worm

#3-3/8oz. pig and jig

#4-5/8oz. jitterbug w/clicker

Those are my choices but at any given time during the night I might use a crankbait, buzzbait, grub, finesse worm, torpedo or anything else I've got.

Find some productive spots and rotate thru them during the course of the night. As I said earlier, the bite will run in cycles so don't give up on a spot if it doesn't produce. Come back later.

One last thing...another bonus that night fishing offers is a chance at multiple species. My lake has Stripers, Hybrids, Walleye and Catfish that all prowl after dark. So be ready and expect anything!

GOOD LUCK

Guest ouachitabassangler

Yep, a good post there, Craw! You stole some of me thunder. I've modified my own post not to repeat stuff. The only thing I'll ditto is I'm fair skinned too and have had way too many cancers burned and cut off to fish days like I did for too long.

I approach night bassing as though fishing pre-spawn to spawn season. Bass come up from deeper to feed shallowER where they feel more secure. Sometimes shad schools even come in to feed shallower than normal, attracting the most bass. The shad normally stick to open water from now until fall, but a day of steady wind sometimes positions shad in main lake pockets used in the spawn, and it takes all night it seems for shad to regroup and head back out.

There are some practical differences in night fishing. I can't fish spawning flats like I want simply because unlike in daylight I can't target holes I can't see in vegetation, or easily find plant edges. So I use no treble hooked lures I would use by day. Unlike days my lures often end up on the bank in a bush or draped over a snag I didn't see when casting, which can make for problems getting a bass hoisted over and back into the water. I lose more hooked bass at night because I let too many swim into places I wouldn't if I could see them. I go more by sound at night to determine what kind of water I've cast into. A dull thump indicates it landed on a mat. No landing sound indicates it's in a bush or was a perfect landing more like flipping. When I begin having those problems on a dark night I do more flipping than by day. Once the sun is up I move offshore and fish deeper structure where a I have all I want to myself. So I wouldn't say I fish at night like I do by day.

I use 20# Stren flourescent blue clear line and an LED UV headlight when fishing slow I see bites before it's possible to feel them. I watch the line, and when I see a curl straighten I get set. I can watch the line begin to straighten and know the tic is coming.

Baits are typically a Jitterbug, Spook, Devil's Horse or similar prop bait, chuggers, buzzbait, and occasionally a spinnerbait, but only if bass are breaking surface. If quiet I bounce a hard bottom with a 5/8 oz or larger jig with rattle and plastic chunk trailer, usually black&blue, but I like to experiment with colors. A good alternate color sometimes is strawberry with red flake if there's any light from the sky, a dock, or around a bridge. I use a lot of white in a full moon, solid black on darkest nights. I also like swimming a long weightless Powerbait worm or scented-up Zoom Monster worm through weeds when the bite is really slow.

Jim

There are some practical differences in night fishing. I can't fish spawning flats like I want simply because unlike in daylight I can't target holes I can't see in vegetation, or easily find plant edges. So I use no treble hooked lures I would use by day. Unlike days my lures often end up on the bank in a bush or draped over a snag I didn't see when casting, which can make for problems getting a bass hoisted over and back into the water. I lose more hooked bass at night because I let too many swim into places I wouldn't if I could see them. I go more by sound at night to determine what kind of water I've cast into. A dull thump indicates it landed on a mat. No landing sound indicates it's in a bush or was a perfect landing more like flipping. When I begin having those problems on a dark night I do more flipping than by day. Once the sun is up I move offshore and fish deeper structure where a I have all I want to myself. So I wouldn't say I fish at night like I do by day.

Jim

This is a better description of how I fish. When I say "same as during the day" I guess I am reffering more towards baits. Plastics, jigs, I use them everywhere, shallow and deep depending on what I'm doing and where. LIke the flats, same flat who's deep edges I'll fish in dawn and dusk hours, I will venture up onto at night, but same flat.

Great point about sound, your ears are your best friend at night and you'll be amazed at how much you are using that 1 sense. When the sun comes up, you are sooo dialed in.