Sign in to follow this  
Keithscatch

Say you got to fish a lake closed for 5 years...

What would your expectations be? What should the results be in your opinion? Say the lake is fairly clear medium depth of around 25 feet about 1,250 acres and has a good population of Bass in it.

If this lake was in your state and you fished it after that long of a layoff how would you think you would do? Oh and the state was not managing this lake during the 5 year layoff. No stocking, nothing.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I would expect the possibility of making a new state record there, and I wouldn't tell a soul about the lake  ;)

Jim

Sounds alot like the lakes nearby me, only not closed.

My expectations would be in the higher levels. My reasons are, the fish havent been pressured by overloads of fishermen, they wouldnt be used to seeing the same thing being thrown at them, no disturbance of any kind by boaters and You have the whole lake to yourself !!

Find a good structure based area and give it all you got! The only way to truely find out is to try it !

Then let us know how it went  ;D

There are some monsters just waiting to be caught !

- Casey

Interesting thoughts.

Matt, no not Squaw Creek although I know where that lake is as I used to live in Dallas. I never got to fish that lake. But great guess. This one was closed on 9/11 also. Not a power plant lake though.

Ok this lake was opened today for half a day of fishing from 7:30am-1:30pm. Will be open only 2 days per week from now on as it is on a military base. Perhaps some military guys fished the lake during this hiatus but no one else.

60 boats showed up to fish this lake. There is also a smaller 250 acre lake that was opened. I counted about 25 boats on the larger lake so I assume the smaller lake got most of the traffic.

Results later I just wanted to know what everyone else would think is a reasonable guess as to how the fishing should be based on this info.

Weather today was HOt Hot Hot. no wind very still and partly cloudy. Water temp was 89 degrees.

We have petition in progress to get Squawl Creek re-opened.    We say don't let terrorists dictate to us, well...... it still closed.

I see you (keith) on another forum all the time, figured you knew SCreek.

What, if any do you miss about Texas Keith?

We have petition in progress to get Squawl Creek re-opened.    We say don't let terrorists dictate to us, well...... it still closed.

I see you (keith) on another forum all the time, figured you knew SCreek.

What, if any do you miss about Texas Keith?

I do miss Texas allot actually. I personally think it is better fishing there at least compared to north Florida. I will be moving to Central Florida next month so in a while ask me this question again  ;D Might have a different answer. No really, I think it is easier to catch fish in Texas lakes like Fork then it is here. The lakes I fish seem to force you to beat banks where the grass is and neglect the open water behind you. Now the lake I fished today and another lake on the same military ground is one of the few exceptions as they are deep lakes. Very rare here indeed. Most lakes are much shallower then those lakes. Also not much hydrilla here either which is weird. Only a couple lakes in the upper portion of Florida have it at all.

Anyway, here is the story from today. I went out with high expectations as all of you have indicated you would have too. I went to drop shot fishing right away. Right away I started getting nibbles but no connections. I was fishing in 14 feet of water. I hooked a fish on a Huddleston craw bug called a Huddlebug. Awesome looking crawfish. Anyway, that fish was so small that when he jumped he threw the bait. Later on I switched to a Devils Tongue 4" finesse worm and caught another Super Dink. "Florida Special" this fish however looked ill. It was say 10" long and looked as if it hasn't had a decent meal his whole short life. Had that concaved stomach thing going.

I kept fishing without another bite. I saw another fisherman come around me and we started chatting. He has fished this lake before it closed and said they used to do ok. He caught 6 fish and he said all of them where skin and bones. Nothing with meat on them all were 10" long too.

Who would have thought after 5 years of closure that this lake would produce super dinks and hardly any at that. Seems like their food base is horrible lacking.

I only fished till 11:30 and left. Just not worth hanging around in that place. Plus they force you to leave at 1:30pm anyway.

Needless to say I was sorely dissapointed.  :'(

yea keith, fished lowrey today myself,and was somewhat disappointed.we managed 14 bass w/ only 1 keeper about 2 1/2 lbs.could have caught dozens of the little schoolies.saw 3 nice ones caught 2 in the 5-6 lb. range and 1 maybe 7 thr guy said it was 7+. all before 8 a.m. i fished w/ a friend in a gheenoe w/o a d.f. so we set up a pattern in the grass early and then 50-100 yds. offshore.caught bass on everything we threw.it fished alot like kingsley.i may take my boat tomorrow and try and find some holes in deeper water....which lake did you fish? lowrey by your post.fishin in the heat of the summer is tough just have to find where them hawgs is a layin

Mike apparently you at least figured them out. You and your friend definitely know more about this then I do. I tried allot of things and only got 3 bites. Landed one and the others got off. They were so small it was hardly worth the effort. I sure didn't see anyone around me catch those numbers. I fished Lowrey also. I stayed close to the ramp on the left hand side. I was in a White Skeeter. I didn't notice a Ganoe. Or however you spell it. But I never tried the grass either.

My graph pooped out on me when I got there which really set me back. I only had my flasher so I was sort of handicapped. I left around 11:30am. I wanted to beat the rush out of that lake.

I have driven down dried creek beds better then the dirt road they provide us with haha. I guess the fish are there just have to find them. But still after that many years I would have thought they would be jumping in the boat.

Oh well, you definitely got the knack for those types of lakes more then I do. Good job on your catch today.

BTW, how did the fish look that you caught? Skinny or about normal?

we fished to the r. of the ramp about a 1/4 way around the lake.schoolies were everyehere.we just started fishin the edge of the grass and after we saw the guy pull a hawg out of the grass we started pitchin trick worms,flukes and i caught 1 on a jig in the grass. noticed 2 boats about 100 yds. off shore constantly catchin fish on a c-rig so we moved out and started c-riggin and picked up a few more.my buddy caught the keeper in the grass on a fluke.it was healthy.most of the dinks were thin.the 2 big fish i seen looked alright,but i was atleast 50yds. away when he held em up.they kept them. we were boat 45.when we left we asked warden about results he said 50 keepers taken out so far and most reports were about like ours around 15 fish caught most being dinks...

had a friend come in the store just a few min. ago and told him about today,said they went to hampton and caught 6 3 over 2# so i'll probably go there in a.m. since it alot closer.also said his boss went to santa fe tues, morn and caught 3 in melrose bay on flukes early in the grass.

Here in Colorado they tried to pull that crap with some municipal lakes after 9/11. They think keeping the public out somehow makes it safer from terrorists? Don't they realize more people up there means more people to keep an eye on it and that closures and fences won't keep Osama and his buddies out? Man I hate big government losers. The key is to continue fighting and never quit. Eventually you will prevail. We have done so here in Colorado.

I guess it could be worse. There is "reservoir" by me that is used for drinking water. It was created sometime around the 40's and ever since they built the dam, no recreation what so ever has been allowed on this lake. I have always wondered "What's down there?"

I've never heard anything about bass but the rumor mill has it that divers have gone down to inspect the dam and seen catfish that were almost as big as the divers. ::)

The point being, if they ever open this lake to fishing, the dam would be the last place I would ever look for a bass. ;D

We've got a lot of gravel pits about 10 miles north of town that divers have came up scared because there were catfish as big as the divers.  don't know if this is just a fish story or what, but there is also some giant bass in these things.  A few of the gravel pits get fished pretty good, but some hardly get toutched.  I have seen some giant fish, i don't know if they were bass or carp, or both, but if they were bass i'd be scared to hook into one of them!!

I don't agree on closing those lakes just because of terrorism, thats just stupid.  maybe they don't want osama fishing there   ;D  good luck with your petition Matt-Fly.  

the reason they closed these lakes they are in the middle of a military bombing range on camp blanding.as a matter of fact they used to be the target area for bombing runs.also there were alot of manuevers going on so for privacy of training all of blanding has been off limits to non military personel. there are some monster bass in all of the blanding lakes but catching them is very difficult,especially in the dog days of summer