Sign in to follow this  
FatBoy

fat ika hook set problems

I've been fishing the fat ikas off and on for the past couple weeks and still haven't caught a single fish on em.  Some of that is because it's so hot and the fishing is slow.  But I'm catching them on other baits in the same places.  I've been getting a few hits on the fat ika but I can't get hooked up.  Every time I feel a fish hit, when I get the bait back to me it's bunched up around the bottom of the hook.  So I wonder if I'm rigging em wrong?

I'm using 4/0 EWG Gamakatsu hooks with the fat ikas skirt up.  The point of the hook goes through the body about 1/4" from the bottom.  Then the straight part of the hook lies flat against the side of the body.  I've tried "texposed" with the point of the hook just under the skin of the body.  I've also tried pushing the body a little further on the hook so that the ben of the hook sticks out from the body but the point is just touching the body.  Does all of this sound right?

I'll try to post some pics of my rig soon.

Have you tried bringing the point of the hook all the way through the body to the top side and then barely skinning just the point back into the body?

it dosent sound like your problem is in the rigging.  i tex pose mine and always keep in mind that the fish will hold on to them for a good while.  especially if its got mega strike or something similar on it.  the way i set the hook is to reel down and let the rod start to load and then give it to em.  i use a similar hook set for a senko.  it helps my hook up % i think.

they will hold it for a long time so even though it kinda looks like a funky jig you dont have to be quick like when your jig fishing.

matt

I'm on board with jomatty.

First of all, I fish the Fat Ika in relatively shallow water, <12', and right now the bass may be deeper. For a deeper presentation I prefer a tube, T-rigged. With any soft plastic I QUICKLY reel down, lower my rod and make a quick snap hook set. If you are fishing a GYCB bait, the fish tend to hold onto it longer, they like the taste and texture. A quick, reactionary hook set is pulling the bait away from them. I am NOT suggesting that you let the fish run with the bait, but be methodical: reel down and make a quick snap hook set.

BTW, When your Fat Ika comes back that way, it was always a bite, not a snag, and that should be encouraging!

Thanks for the help.  I don't miss too many fish with senkos (and knockoffs) so I don't think it's really my hook set.  I always wait to make sure fish has the lure.  

I'm thinking the fish may just be too small for such a fat bait.  The fish I've been catching in this hot weather are pretty small, like 10".  I think the bigger fish are all hanging out with a beer in the deeper water.

And I AM encourage that at least I'm getting hits.  I'm far from giving up on the fat ika.  Maybe when the water cools down I'll have better luck.

also as im sure you are doing, i always use EWG hooks with fat ikas.  just thought id mention it since i didnt see that you specified.

matt