Sign in to follow this  
GAMEOVER

Bass put into pond extinction?

Behind my place is a smaller sized U shaped pond packed with Largemouthbass. On average ive caught anywhere from 1-4 Largemouth every single day. As of late we've had some hot Michigan (Michigan meaning HUMID as hell) weather with a few days in the 100s. I have not caught one single bass in this body of water since this. I also heard from quite a few people there were a group of 12 people with a fish cage that caught and kept fish all day long that they caught. Someone said they had over 50 lbs of Largemouth. This really ticks me off because this is not a sanctioned body of water to fish in it is a private pond for residants to look at behind their apartment. Now I cant catch a single bass and im spending 9 hour days out there and I see others out here as well not catching diddly. Could these idiots of taken all the desireable size bass in here out of here? Is this weather just too much for them so they're staying extremely deep? Or both? I have no idea whats going on, the last two days we have only had low 80 temps and they have not taken anything. Worms, Crankbaits, Jigs, Torpedos at morning and night (what they usually slam for me). They are no where, everyone I asked thats fishing out says they have not caught a thing in awhile and no one knows whats going on, so what do you guys think?

BTW this is an off topic question but if you can awnser it along with the above paragraph great, I was wondering how big a baby bass can grow in length in one years time?

Thanks again guys I really dont know wth is going on :-/

It's very frustrating to see ponds go downhill, and I've seen too many do that. I believe that just one angler, even staying within the laws, can ruin a small body of water.

Here's a growth chart from another site. The site's owner is a good friend, but I don't know the source of his information.

LARGEMOUTH GROWTH CHART:

NUMBER OF YEARS TO REACH 10 INCHES

TENNESSEE 2 YRS.

CONNECTICUT 3 YRS.

MINNESOTA 3 YRS.

FLORIDA 2 YRS.

CALIFORNIA 2 YRS.

YEARS TO REACH 15 INCHES

TENNESSEE 4 TO 5 YRS.

CONNECTICUT 6 YRS.

MINNESOTA 8 YRS.

FLORIDA 4 YRS.

CALIFORNIA 3 YRS.

YEARS TO REACH 20 INCHES

TENNESSEE 8 YRS.

CONNECTICUT 10 YRS.

MINNESOTA 12 TO 15 YRS.

FLORIDA 6 TO 7 YRS.

CALIFORNIA 4 TO 6 YRS.

RELATE THE STATES AND SIZES CLOSEST TO YOU.

Yes, It's posible that they cleaned out your pond. depending on the size of the pond. 50lbs if bass is 25 2 lb fish. I fish some plases that if you took 6 fish the place would be wiped out. and who knows how many times thats happend. Black bass are a Asin delicusy. They sell them in alot of the asin stores around here for 5 bucks a lb. They will tell you that thay are pen raised But can't you see a small

store incresing its profits by traping fish or by having family outing once a week till there all gone and then moving on..      

Unfortainately I beleve thats what has happend to some ponds I fish. Last year I could go out and

knock  them all day. Nice bass to 2-5lbs and 15 or 20 a day. Then I went back to work and couldent fish much. Well I went back this year and I can't buy a fish out of them. Not just me but the other regulers that fish it.              

WOW so your saying that they drained and ruined this pond? Thats great im so angry now.. I catch and release all the time to enjoy the catch again or let others sad they dont do the same low life pieces of stuff,

Man I feel for you I have the same exact type of pond in my neighborhood! ONe day I went down there and saw renters just taking all the fish in the pond and I how many they had and they had 30 or so and there was only 3 people so I told them that the pond was only C&R because thats what the owner told me and they listened. THANK GOD they listened. It made me so mad though. i do think they cleaned it out, but there are days at my pond where they just hit nothing, and I throw some crawlers in there and catch 10 fish in an hour so I don't know.

I cant believe someone could whipe out this pond with 1 fishing trip, I didnt see em just heard about the 12 of em who had a 50 lb cage set up in the water. Then to ice the cake im walkin around the pond as I usually do and what do I see.. I see a bass belly floating alongside shore with its head missing and tail missing. It had to be about a 6 lb largemouth judging by its huge belly and I know someone did it because it was clean cut perfectly even on each side. If I was out there and saw this this wouldnt of happend, I guarenttee it.

These are Largemouth Michigan Bass btw, I seen some baby bass swimmin around here 'n' there so that was a good site I guess. I would bring bass back to stock but I dont think id want to do that if ******** like that are around here.

Sorry those poachers ruined your honey hole. It makes me really angry to hear about things like this. I wish I had some good advice but I don't. I'm just sorry they do things like that.

Guest ouachitabassangler

There's a 100% meat hunter "fisherman" in probably every county in America. It's just a matter of time for them to find a pond and strip it. They shock and net ponds, using dynamite in remote areas around here, mostly slipping in at night. If it happens in a fishery the state stocks they will investigate, but not for a private pond they don't manage. I've quit hiking in to any of the once fabulous ponds and tiny lakes in the mountains of the Ouachita Nat. Forest, most with no catchable fish remaining.

Jim

yeah its a sad reality of fishing ponds.  in a lot of the smaller ponds that i fish just one person catching and keeping everything can make a big impact on the population.  theres one pond near my house that was once great.  its near some low income housing and one particular family cleaned it out.  its not worth bothering there anymore.  i have nothing against keeping fish in bodies of water that can sustain it but ruining a pond is like pure evil to me.

my favorite ponds i now only fish in the early early morning and night or at least twilight and try to downplay the good fishing if anyone asks.  unfortunately someone will eventually ruin these and the hunt for another good place to fish will be back on.  i love ponds because it can be difficult to consistently catch fish from the shore in some of the large lakes around me and it is frustrating.  the ponds i fish now are a short walk from my house so it will be especially frustrating if someone finds them.

matt

Wow, I really am going to sound racist, but i'm gonna say it anyway.  Asians are a big problem with the local ponds around here.  They fish with bamboo 30 ft long cane poles with line tied to the end, hand rigs with no rod or reel at all etc.  They keep EVERYTHING!  You can only get in so many arguments before you just stop going and let them have the pond.

UPDATE:

Good news there might be hope found another pond LOADED with Largemouths I caught two Largemouths today in 30 minutes one was about 11 inches other was a 4-5 inch baby/adolescent both were safely and quietly released under the night sky in this pond. I shall take more but stop at about 10 ten+ inch largemouth and 15 three to 10 inch largemouth.. this pond is loaded!