Sign in to follow this  
k0walski

What happened to this lake??

I can't figure it out. There is this one pond here on Fort Riley, and about 3-4 weeks ago before I went to Illinois, I could go there and catch 2-3lb largemouth everyday. Now, I leave for two weeks and come back, it's dead, I've only caught one from it, and it wasn't nearly the size I usually do. I've thrown everything out there, spinner baits, poppers, buzzbaits, crankbaits, and I get nothing. I know it is unusually hot here in Kansas, but it was unusually hot before when I was catching them. So, my question for you guys is what else can I try, any suggestions? I've tried fishing at different times of the day. Early morning, noon (on my lunch break), evening and still nothing.  What else is there to try or should I just find a different favorite fishing hole?

I think what happened is summer.  Seems like the fishing has slowed down here too since the water temps have gone way up.  I don't have much advice.  One thing I've heard others say is to slow way down.  But I've only had moderate success with that.  Keep plugging...

Maybe try a new approach, maybe use something you havent used yet.

Soft plastics are one of the most productive baits in ponds, try using those.

T rigged weightless senkos are money in ponds.

Welcome to the boards!

Can you tell us a little more about the lake? How deep? Any grass? Other structure or cover? That may help us out in helping you!

Ok I'm gonna try my best. The North east part of the lake there is a bunch of trees right along the shore, there is alot of brush around this area, you can get down to the water and fish this area pretty good, this was a pretty productive area before. Farther along the north shore there is a small cove which has dried out, and then there are rocks, the rocks are kinda like a small cliff about 4 feet above the water, and that continues all the way down the nort shore. This area used to be very productive as well with deep diving crank baits as the water is pretty deep. Only problem is anytime I use a T-rig I'll catch a half pound channel cat just about every other cast. This is what keeps me from using plastic worms at this pond. On the East of the pond there is a drain that drains out to a creek, not much brush in this area, about 10 feet out it's about 6 foot deep on this side. I fish this area because I had a really nice one snap my line, 8lb test, It was a largemouth, I saw it.. I was upset... Anyways along the south shore it's shallow, I hardly ever had much luck on this part of the pond. on the west part of the lake there is soo much tree cover that you can't fish it all the way down, but you can cast paralell with the shore, pretty good spot, very shallow alot of brush. Total I'd say the pond is a little over 3 acres. Deep on the North Shore, Shallow on the South, FULL of small channel cat, big bluegill, and (I thought) alot of decent size largemouth.

Also someone could have cleaned out your area like they did mine, I released 16 2+ lb Largemouth and 24 under 2lb Largemouth to try and revive it. I did all this under the night sky.

In your situation though it probably is the weather, fish get lazy and go deep in hot weather try droping a Senko or an Ika at the bottem, good luck.