Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigtex

Hunting for the "BIG BASS"...NEED HELP QUICKLY

Guest bigtex

I will be going out fishing today around 4:00 pm (8-19-06).  I usually go out for numbers but today I am in search for the "BIG ONE."  

1.)  The private lake is about 25-30 ft. in the deepest part of the water.

2.)  The lake is covered in lily pads and underwater moss.  These lily pads are HUGE as well as the smaller ones

3.)  There are quite of few submerged logs, tree stumps, dead standing trees in the middle of this lake as well.

4.)  I know for a fact that there are bass over 13 lbs in here.

5.)  Water clarity is normal, not to dark but not to clear.

6.)  Temp is HOT.  The high for today was 102 degrees.

I will be fishing with plastic baits--brush hogs, lizards, Fat Ikas, along with my favorite bait, the JIG.

My question is where would you focus on the BIG BASS at?  Would you use heavier weights to punch through the lily pads and grass?  I can find the numbers but I am having a hard time finding the Big Ones--Over 8 lbs.

Guest bigtex

I will also be taking a video camera with me so I can show yall later what I am fishing in.  I just need help for right now.

Don't worry LBH or Keith,  if I do land a "Monster"  you will see it being released and I will have the footage to prove it.

I would key in on the parts of structure where it gets deeper. The deeper the structure the better when the weather is that hot. That is a good attitude as far as releasing the nice bass if you catch him, it's the best way to do it. Best of luck and hopefully you can get some footage of that lunker.

Your a good man Bobby.  ;)

Those big girls are hiding under all that matted grass on that lake. Use a jig and flip it into all of the holes you can get the jig to sink down into. Use a stout rod with braided line to get it out.

Have fun.

Make sure you have a slow retrieve when going for the big ones, and try to mimmick a wounded baitfish because the big bass are lazy hunters and only go for the easy kill.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I'd look for loner pads, cast beyond them, let the jig settle several minutes to allow any spooked bass to forget about any noisy entry. Let them settle down, return to their ambush spots, then barely move the jig on bottom. Move it once, then wait minutes more. A bass will hear the scratching and feel any vibration, then go hunt for the cause. Move it slightly again, a few inches, to let the bass refine the location. Jerk the jig up a foot or two and let it fall on a semi tight line. Strikes most often occur right then.

I also try to deliberately hang a jig over a pad stem, let it sit a while, then yo-yo it in place slowly, resting often on bottom. If the pads have flower stalks developing or remaining from an earlier bloom look for old cobwebs with debris/insects in them between stalks, indicating unfished water at least that day. Sometimes most other fishermen as a group bypass unseemly targets that just don't look fishy. A big loner bass would like finding such a place to rest.

Jim