Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

whats my problem?

Last 3 times i have been out, i have not caught a fish. I have used my tubes, senkos, and t-rigs everywhere with no sucess. I get bites every now and then, but i cant get a hook in. I tried spinnerbaits, flukes, and even tried a crankbait, and theat means i have no idea what to do, i never use cranks. I took my partner out yesterday and he caught 4 bass while i still caught none. Although his bass were tiny, 10-12", i was wondering if im missing them bacause im using a 3/0 hook on a 5" worm and he has a tube with an open hook. Should i try topwaters? The shoreline of this lake is shallow for quite a ways out and has some snaggy weeds. How about a minnow bait? Keep in mind the water is probably just at or under 80 degrees or so. The lake has a big trench where the shore is on one side, and it is about 3' deep with weeds on the other side, and the trench has a sand bottom. If you want any more info on the lake, just ask. HELP ME!!!

Slim down.

Go with a light line, like an 8 pound mono.  Add a light bullet sinker like a 1/16 and peg it.  Add a 2/0 straight or extra wide gap hook.  Add a 4 and a half inch to a 6 inch finesse worm like a red shad, Mocasson blue, green pumpkin or the color you think will do well based on the water clarity.

Use a spinning rig and a 6 foot 6 inch medium or medium heavy rod.

Also, consider throwing white Rooster Tails with the treble hooks on a 4, 6 or 8 pound line with a swivel to keep it from twisting.  Or a white Mr. Twister grub on a 1/16 jig head.

Throw to the bank and out into the water and see what happens.

I bet you will catch something by going lighter and smaller.

Let us know how you do.

Guest avid

Take a big deep breath.........................................exhale

There now, feel better?

Good.  Now let me suggest that you go with tried and true lures that are on or near the surface.  Get out early, just about sunup, or at dusk and gently cast a silver n black rapala (color 01) in size F11

Toss it near some lilly pads or under an overhang.  Any bassy spot that we talk about.  Let it sit for a minute.  that's 60 seconds.  then twitch it. By twitching, I mean try to make the bait vibrate without moving it.  Then let it sit another minute and do it again.  If still no strike, then reel in a few turns, or better yet "rip" it with just the rod and start all over again.   If there are bass in that lake they WILL hit that lure.  GUARANTEED.  Have faith, be confident.  It is hard NOT to hook a bass that hits a Rapala.

go git em dude.

avid,

Too cool!

Great suggestion/ post.  That will work 100% of the time.

In your area, go to a lake early and cast under every single dock and then find some pads and throw a horny toad. You may not find the biggest sack in the lake, but you'll get bit.

All great suggestions, but here is my reply-

Sam- I am using a 7' medium action spinning rod with 8 lb. vanish. The rig i was talking about (3/0, 5" worm) was a senko, and the only lure i got bit on. Other then that i was using a 5" curly tail worm, red shad, with an 1/8th oz. slider head, and a 4" robo worm with a pegged 1/16th oz. sinker and a 1/0 hook. finesse isnt working

Avid- sounds good, but there are no shorline overhangs and stuff like that. It is a fairly developed lake, and the shoreline is about 6" deep, and gets down to about 3' in around 50 yards. Very gradual. What about weedy shallows off of shore? like i said, far away from shore, out from the trench it is about 3' and weedy. IN my favorite lakes, my most (and biggest fish) come off of silver rapalas fished in a simaler manner, not as slow, and i use around a size 9.

The Duke- The docks- maybe, but they are shallow and weedy (to weedy to get anything lighter that 1/2 oz. in) and snaggy (too snaggy to get a 1/2 oz. jig out.) The other end is a little deeper by the docks (3'?) and sandy with occasional (and sparse) weeds. Also there are no lily pads in the lake. There is one shallow seciton with a bullrush type weed that i didnt get to, because i was fishing to opposite shoreline, and i only had a trolling motor and 1 battery, didnt want to gamble.

If you are using that rig and not getting hit I agree I would go crazy.  that is one of my top producers and I am getting all kinds of good bass on that rig.  Wow a shocker to me...

a very shallow very gradual slope is the last place id look for summertime bass.  what happens out deeper?  is there any sharper drops to speak of?  that sounds like water that would stay very warm.  my number one confidence lure is a senko when the bite gets tough.  if thats the only thing youre getting bit on id stick with it.  try to find the first significant and less gradual drop to deeper water and i wouldnt be surprised if it hold some bass but i really dont know enough about your lake to comment.  if the only availble water was shallow and gradually sloping i would try it at night if schedule permits.

matt

Throw a 1/16 ounce round head jib with a white Mr. Twister single tail grub.

As the bass start to hit it you can graduate to the tube or finesse worm.

Try a small white Rooster Tail and do the same as you did with the single tail grub.

If there are bass in the area they will hit the lure.  So will the bream if they are around.

Don't forget scent, too, on all grubs, Rooster Tails and plastics.

You can also throw plastics and small lures but remember that 1/8 ounce pegged bullet weight on a 2/0 hook with a finesse worm sounds good but it may not get the results you want, especially if the fish are more in the center of the lake, suspended.

Try a small crankbait or a silver with black back Rat-L-Trap to try to get strikes.

Also, don't forget your buzzbaits.  In the evening as the sun sets and it gets dark throw a smaller verision of your favorite black buzzbait and see what happens.

Then, if no luck go to live bait to try to find where the fish are staging.  Minnows, trout worms, nightcrawlers and grasshoppers are excellent live bait.  Once you start to catch them on live bait you can learn their habits and where they are staging at what times during the day and when they move to the bank to feed.

Let us know how you do.

jomatty- the gradual shoreline is all sand. There is a deeper drop out a ways. Once you get past that, it comes back up and it is shallow and weedy. That makes the trench i am talking about. The trench is all sand. I have no idea what 85% or more of the lake looks like under the surface there are no lake maps, and i dont have any electronics. All of what i know about it is what i can tell by fishing it and looking at it from the surface.

Guest the_muddy_man

Thats right Avid On the MONEY! I also try not to keep cahnging up a lot of times I pick one lure for each part of the water table and when I find them thats when I zone in. I usually am more willing to try something new or a lure I havent had success with on days when the fish are bitting On lean days I go to my most reliable stuff I have the most confidence in My.02

well, i have to thank everybody for the advice i have been given. Anyways, any suggestions AT ALL are welcome. A little more info on the lake:

baitfish- mostly bluegill, sunnies, and perch. Just maybe a shiner every now and then. IM sure crayfish are aplenty with the sandy/gravel bottom.

gamefish- largemouth bass, norhtern pike, and walleye. Crappies might fall under this category too.

primary weed growth- some sorth of broad leaf hydrilla. Very thick is some spots, and non existant in others. there are NO lily pads.  :'(

depth- all shorelines are shallo, one is very shallow, and another is a little less so, the rest of the lake leaves me clueless. (remember, do fish finder!)

I dont know if this helps, but the name is indian lake, in southwest michigan, cass county, kind of in the middle between dowagiac, sister lakes, and eau claire.

Guest avid

we all have slumps, it's just part of the game.

When it happens to me (Yes, even I can have a bad day LOL)  I go back to the basics.

If I'm getting hits, but not getting hookups I'll go to trebled hook rapalas etc,

If I'm not getting bit, I'll go to finesse worms and/or jigs

If I'm not sure if I'm getting bit, I'll go  to ratltraps or topwaters.

If none of the above work I'll go to duffy's and hoist a few.