Sign in to follow this  
KYbass1276

Duckweek is it a fish killer

This one lake I fish has had a bad outbreak of duckweed this year.  I had heard that it will depleat the O2 in the water and eventually kill of the fish.   I as well heard that a good rain will make it go away.  It has been dry here and it really wasn't a problem until it got dry.   Anybody have any answers as to what really causes duckweed and if its true it will kill off fish.

The rain kills it instantly, at least most of it. On windy days, itll get pushed to one side of the lake too. I have it all over my favorite pond, and somedays ill catch 15 fish or more. The fish almost like it because of the shade and all.

Guest ouachitabassangler

Duckweed is a good cover for bass, but can become a problem on a small lake or pond if it returns year after year and completely covering the water surface. I loved fishing it in Louisiana, but on bayous and rivers where a good rain would push it on through, thinnng it out. It's much better if found in patches. If it stays put it can shade out other benefial plants and kill off phytoplankton which require some sunlight penetration. When duckweed is treated with herbicide the massive die-off can seriously deplete DO. Left alone it just sinks to the bottom in Fall to early winter, then comes back up next spring.

Jim

Not as bad as lets get loaded and drive this old BUICK into the lake week

Yeah I thought duck week was the follow up to shark week on the Discovery channel. :D

Not as bad as lets get loaded and drive this old BUICK into the lake week

Hey now!

That old BUICK is the best place to fish in my lake. ;D

The bass love that old BUICK more than Grandad did!