Sign in to follow this  
Big-O

Roll Over......Toad

Hey BR Family,

Thanks for all of your support for me and RageTail designs. We are having terrific success because of you. BassResource is my home away from home and definitely my favorite forum for communicating with real 'died in the wool' bass fishermen and friends.

With the topwater season soon approaching, thought it would be handy for you to have the following article that was recently written to assist each of us with our soft plastic frog and toad baits this season. Hope it is of benefit to you and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Your Big O Pal,

Steve Parks

RageTail Designs

www.ragetail.com

Roll Over...Toad

All of us topwater Finatics have seen this happen many times when throwin' soft plastic frogs and toads and many of us will just say,"well it catches fish on its back too" AND IT DOES. But that same group of us will have to admit that we would like for it to run on its belly more often than not because the bait appears to work better and gets more strikes when it's running right side up.

Are all toads and frogs destined for a future of uncertainty, not knowing how to be "The best Toad they can be".... I think not. When facts are known, many of todays popular Toad designs will actually perform flawlessly when placed on the hook correctly.

Often prior to the actual design phase, one will study the market place to determine the size and weight of a hook that is most popular with a given style of baits and why they are popular. Having this information helps to alleviate the possibility of future problems. Now that we know the "Toads Desires" and the Designers Mindset, lets learn about the fisherman.

If we pay close attention to the original shape of many toads, their belly is very much shaped like the bottom of a boat hull. Let's imagine if we drastically changed the shape of our boat's bottom....how would it ride? For those of you who don't have a boat, just trust me, it's not a pretty picture. If we apply this same analogy while placing a soft plastic toad on a hook, we can start to see a bigger picture. Maintaining the integrity of the original shape of the bait will definitely get your Toad started on his physical therapy session to give you better results. Wise ole Froggers Like Strike King's Pro Mark Davis will some time point the head up slightly or bow the frogs belly down just a little while hooking to add insurance for making it run upright everytime or possibly change the tone or action provided.

Now we're back to the all important hook. RageTail Bait Designer Steve Parks, says that the hook that an angler chooses and the method of hooking the Frog is possibly the most important aspect of receiving the correct action on any given bait design. He said prior to designing the RageToad, the market study showed that a 5/0 to Extra wide gap hook was a big favorite to many Froggers for a couple of reasons, one was improved hook up percentages and another was the added depth to the keel effect. He also said some of the top Pros were using hooks as large as 7/0. Another popular trend was using the Heavy Wire Hooks (Superline) as they added even more weight to the keel effect, as well as handled the larger fish in the thick stuff. Steve says that one of the biggest culprits to poor performance on Frogs is when some fishermen skin hook a Frog for weedless application. If done correctly there is no change to the shape or integrity of the design, but often an angler will actually bow the back of the bait up too much to hide the point of the hook in it's back, This done excessively, will take the designed keel effect from the bottom of the bait and reverse it to the top which will make a soft plastic Frog run on it's back everytime. He said that on his Rage Toad Design, he supplied a recessed hook slot in the back of the Toad that is dimensioned so that when properly placed, a 5/0 or 6/0 EWG hook point will lay perfectly hidden just below the Toad's back and can be inserted or skin hooked in the front of the slot for absolute weedless applications. And all without changing the original keel design or shape.

So what have we learned after this brief discussion on soft plastic Toads....A toad wants to be all he can be...A designer wants to produce the best design....and a fisherman wants to catch the biggest and the most fish...

Well maybe with these little nuggets of information, we can all be happy and better enjoy our next Topwater Frogging adventure.....

Strike King Lure CO

I'm REALLY ready to give them a workout this year.

Results and impressions will be posted as soon as I have

the opportunity to fish the Toad.

We appreciate your support. BTW, Kentucky Lake?

-Kent

-Kent

Checks in the Mail Kent.... ;D

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Good read. I use the rage-tail products (toad and craw specifically) but struggle to keep the toad upright. I will try a little bow in the belly and see if this helps.

My hook choice is the zoom horny toad hook with the screw lock. Don't know if this is adding to my roll over woes.

I use the rage-tail products (toad and craw specifically)

You have overlooked my favorite: 10" Anaconda

Give them a try!

8-)

-Kent

Our office is checking schedules to see if I am going to be able to be there with you folks...I promise to try my best....and I might bring some of my secret stuff if I can make it......

Big O

www.ragetail.com

I have to say I was very skeptical about the RT stuff last year but this fall I hammered them with the toad. It was by far my most productive bait at my local spot. If you have mats of grass, you need to try it.

BTW, if you are fishing them fast, a smaller sized weighted swimbait hooks keeps them upright perfectly.

Good comment Dan and U B right on the KW hooks, I have used a 5/0 or 6/0 light keel weighted hook when it is a bit windy and there is some heavy chop on the water....Casts further and makes the Toad or Shad ride the waves really well without skipping out as soft plastics often do in those conditions.

Big O

www.ragetail.com