Sign in to follow this  
Zeppelin6931

Lake Fishing

First off,welcome to the forum.

As for your question:

Before I ever get on new water,this being a lake,I look for info at tackle stores,the web,etc.I always get a topographical map and search out,according to info gathered,what I may be looking for.

Now,if you are talking about a smaller lake that topos and info aren't availible,it's going to depend on season and/or weather and water temps.

Okay,let's say I'm going in totally blind,I would be observing my depth finder for structure(ledges,points,and humps)and baitfish.Then I am going to observe the surface and banks for baitfish and take a look at what the birds are doing.

If you could be more specific,you would get better feedback. Cj

Welcome aboard!

When you don't have a clue, main points for smallmouth and secondary points for largemouth. Docks, the mouths of tributary creeks and I like stump fields. Maybe shear cliffs and rocky dams for sure. Weeds that are near deeper water. What I don't fish is shallow water on an extended flat.

Could you be more specific with the lake you are inquiring about.

Lakes in Florida ,for example,have nearly no structure.Lakes all have their own structural make up of some sort.They may be one big soup bowl with vegetation or may be a big rocky river resevoir with all kinds of structure.

Help us, help you! :)