Sign in to follow this  
FIN-S-R

The Science of Fish- Need help

Im always tryin' to find research studies on bass wether it be general habits, feeding patterns, migration trends, physiology, specific behavior, or whatever. It seems there is very little of this runnin' around out there to the general public. Now when I say "research studies" I mean hardcore peer reviewed statistically analyzed research published in scientific journals, not the anacdotal stuff from bassmasters, in-fisherman, and your other garden variety periodicals. I realize the periodicals are good info for new techniques and developing patterns, but I want to get to "KNOW" a bass. I know there are some Icthiologist, and Fisheries Biologist types checkin out this forum, so you guys that are in the know could you give a fellow science geek a hand. I would especially like to get my hands on some concrete research findings on fish response, or bass response to variable environmental stimuli.

I think you will be surprised to find that the "science" is weak. Fish management is an on-going experiment. I know you are looking for more, but In-Fisherman is the best source of "scientific" information available for laymen.

One suggestion is "Pond Management" sites. The guys that are commercially growing stocker fish seem to be pushing the envelope of current technology. You might start with Ray Scott, but there are a number of well know companies out there.

The best way I have found to get electroshocking surveys, radio implant telemetry studies, (the things I think you are loking for) is to contact individual state Game and Fisheries management personel by letter or email. I live in Missouri, where you can pick copies of these up at regional offices. I'm not sure about other states, but it would be similar. Also try the state university biologists, they often do field studies on watersheds, some may also do sport fish species.

Try searching various states DNR websites.  The Wisconsin DNR posts a lot of their research information/publicatons on the site.  Usually it's pretty buried though.  The other option is to find Universities with good Limnology departments.  Some suggestions are the University of Wisconsin - Madison and UW Steven's Point.  I would guess that Minnesota would have some, as well as Texas and Florida.  Search their sites and see what comes up.  This type of information may have to be specifically requested.  I would also contact BASS and FLW as they not only do a lot of research, but aid in a lot of research.  In Fisherman is another great publicaton.  There are many books out there as well, although I would stick with things published in the last couple of years, as RW stated this is a challenging and changing science.

What Roadwarrior said was RIGHT ON THE MONEY, when it comes to weak science. Unfortunately,

good accurate science is VERY expensive and requires a certain degree of collaboration between

pubic and private biologists. Both public and private financial funding are limited at best

when it comes to sportfish. Although, the private sector has more money to spend on R&D,

there is a real disconnect between the public and private biologists involved with research.

We receive several scientific journals, and I have found that some of the best scientific data

comes from the fields of zoology, immunology and human medicine. Aquaculture also has

provided significant research. Koi research is WELL funded, because of the financial value

to the private industry. Some specimens have a value of 6 figures, so money is available for

research. Some of that research is very valid when it comes to sportfish. Most DNR agencies

have limited resources.  There are many personal bias and agendas that hinder the collaboration

of valid scientific research.

This site is probably the best source of scientific information available to the public. Glenn has

very good articles on this site. Doug Hannon (the bass professor) and Bob Lusk of Pond Boss,

have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to behavior, feeding patterns, etc. Bob is a biologist

and individuals like Johnny Morris of Bass Pro Shops seek his experience and knowledge. He is

very good in the area of management. I learn something new everytime I talk to Doug Hannon.

He has over 34 years of experience and knowledge, much of which was obtained through underwater

observation. His underwater observations have been used to develop many public and private

programs and exhibits, including the Athens fish hatchery which is home of the Texas Sharelunker

program. Hope this information helps.