Sign in to follow this  
GAMEOVER

Pond Restoration: Final Update

I dont know how many of you have been following my progress about restoring my honey hole to its previous state that is right outside my back apartment door. To date, I have released 47 Bass with 32 of them in the 4+ lb range. I have also caught and released literally hundreds of Bluegill and Sunfish. I feel I have made a huge impact on this ponds enviroment and I feel really good about it. I know very few if any in my area will respect what I did since there's a few dip stick anglers around but I have made wood structures that I have released while in the darkness of night in spots where none of these same dipshits fish. I feel I can stop and call this project completed. Now off I go to go throw some crankbaits, thanks for reading.

Awsome job i have been following your post about this topic and it seem to be a great idea. good luck with the pond and the fishing.

p.s. keep us posted about "Your" pond.

thanks

How big is this lake?  32 bass over four pounds are going to need an awful lot of room and a lot of forage.

Did you check with a conservation agent as far as the correct bass/bluegill ratio for the size of the pond or did you just start tossing fish in without any plan? Were these bass taken from public waters? That's illegal in most states.

JW, how did you not damage the enviroment of the lake u got the fish from? or was it multiple locations?

I taged the fish.. caught half and left the rest.

32 Bass that weigh over 4 pounds? Where in the hell do you live?

Detroit, MI. area, 10-miles west of Lake St.Clair. No the Bass were not from Lake St.Clair. I wont touch that body of water in that way.

How big is this lake? 32 bass over four pounds are going to need an awful lot of room and a lot of forage.

Did you check with a conservation agent as far as the correct bass/bluegill ratio for the size of the pond or did you just start tossing fish in without any plan? Were these bass taken from public waters? That's illegal in most states.

All were private pond raised Bass west of Lake St.Clair. I taged as many fish as I could and caught close to half of the Bass I taged and transfered them. Bluegill and Sunfish were takin from a pond that was semi-recently built.

Size wise, I couldnt give an acre estimate but its no deeper then 20 feet (guessing) but deffinatly atleast 20 feet deep. The pond is shaped like a upside down U..

Here is a drawing. Picaso at his best..

pondsv5.png

Some information about me and this water: I live in the bottem right apartment building, directly behind the weeping willow tree marked on the map. The water is directly out my back slide glass door. Im 23 years old with a wife and a 2 year old son. My wife and I enjoy fishing here everyday when the weather allows it. I use these waters as my testing grounds for many many lures, rod setups, and just pure enjoyment. I also use them to get away from the wife and kid (dont get me wrong I love em but everyone needs an outlet) just dont let my wife know. I get out to Lake St.Clair, Lake Erie, and the Detroit River when ever I get a chance (or can find a boat). Unfortunatly I dont own a boat and cant afford one at the present time. I plan to buy a true fishing boat in the future though when were more financially stable. I try to encourage younger kids in the area to fish and take time to help them out when I get a chance. Encouraging catch & release, I have really gotten some into the sport in a responsible and preserving the sport way. Im actually proud of some of them at how responsible they have been and are. Knowing all this about me (the reason I wrote it) should give you some insight about me and my opinions on lures, etc. I am constantly testing things just about everyday I get a chance to. Im really a busy guy though. Thanks for reading.

You can pick up tags at any sports store like Gander Mountain. They're cheap and dont harm the fish in anyway. I did however remove them all before releasing them into their new home. Id love to add some smallies in here but I feel thats pushing it on this body of water so I wont. Youd be suprised at how aggressive lots of these Largemouths are in here though.

im not following you on the tagged fish.  you caught them, tagged them, took the tags out and then released them?  this cant be right, please explain what im missing here.  there is no doubt i will feel stupid when i hear what im sure was obvious to everyone else.

matt

i believe what he's saying is, he caught a bunch of bass, tagged them, then released them in their home waters.  Then, recaught some of the tagged fish, and took them back to "his" pond, removed the tags, and released them.

[quote author=GAMEOVER link=1159293362/0#9 date=1160149158

Size wise, I couldnt give an acre estimate but its no deeper then 20 feet (guessing) but deffinatly atleast 20 feet deep.

you know thats what it sounded like to me too but it seemed like a lot of work.  hmm i guess that is what he did.  

I'm assuming you checked all your state laws pertaing to fish transport, re-location, etc. Hefty fines involved there and for good reason. To achieve a balanced fishery, many studies have to be done to determine food supply, oxygen levels,etc. It's not somthing you should be doing over the weekends. Serious biological study needs to be done. Transferrence of parasites and viruses are the main concerns here. In 2 yrs, you could have a dead pond in your backyartd.

RESEARCH!!

Good luck.

You can pick up tags at any sports store like Gander Mountain.

Which tags exactly are you using. I have searched high and low and can only find them from commercial fishery supply stores and they aren't cheap. $100 for the first number run to 100.

How much are the ones you are using? How much is the gun? How many tags do you get?

im really curious about this as well and would be very curious to hear about it.  ive long wanted to try to relocate some bass into one of the ponds i fish but am unwilling to take the risk of killing out what is left of the fishery by introducing LMBV or some other disease or parasite.

matt