Sign in to follow this  
stroz

Early morning cold fall fishin'

I was curious is it still worth it to be on the water early. If it's startin to frost or wait until later in the morning after it warms up a bit. Does it make the fish sluggish or are they getting used to it? thanks for any info.wondering if I should get up early tomorrow or not ::) thanks again

stroz

I would say go as soon as you got safe light.If you wait you will never know what you missed.

Guest avid

Mornings like the one you described are worth getting up for weather the fish are biting or not.

Live in S. florida a few years and you will long for the crip fall mornings where you feel the chill bite through your jacket till the sun starts to warm things up a little.  The bass will bite, don't you worry about that.  Just get out, count your blessings and enjoy.

I just put up a post about yesterday commenting on just this.

We did have a great bite right at sunrise but it stayed with us.  Today we are going at 1pm.  Peak heat and the wind will be shifting from NE  (last 2 days)to SE around noon.  Could go either way, I'll fill you in tonight.

To respond to your question, just got back from a tournament here in the Midwest -- "blast off" was at 7:15 AM -- first fish came on a chatterbait at 7:20 (water temp - 56) -- bluebird skies with 20-25 mph winds out of the southeast -- tournament ran until 3:15 PM -- all reported fish were caught within 6" to 1' of windblown banks -- bite essentially died by 11:30 (by this time the water temp was 63-65).  My partner caught his limit and 8-10 cull fish throughout the day on a buzzbait -- now, your assignment, if you choose to accept it is to explain this.  Bottom line, as long as there are fish in the lake, go for 'em.  You neve know.

My brother and I hit Kueka lake NY Saturday morning at first light. We launched at the State Park in Branchport. It was so foggy we just started down the shore with the trolling motor. My Bro caught a 3# LM and I lost what was probrobly the biggest fish of the year for me. My knot broke. I SUCK at knot tying, 4 years in the Navy and I still can't tie a knot. But my point is when the fog lifted the bite quit. If we hadnt went early, we more than likely would have got skunked. To me, its well worth going early.

Jim

Yes and no. Yes now, since (at least here) water temps are still 70 in the early morning, and they use the element of surprise by the low light conditions. No, when it's winter, and the water is colder, than it would be after warming a tad by days end.

I like to get out as early as possible. Only time I plan on going later in the day is in the dead of winter.

Yes and no. Yes now, since (at least here) water temps are still 70 in the early morning, and they use the element of surprise by the low light conditions. No, when it's winter, and the water is colder, than it would be after warming a tad by days end.

i agree but he said it was just frosting. i've caught too many fish in early morning weather like that to not go if given the opportunity. now the dead of winter is a different story. i normally wait for the sun to pop up.

So it's like this partner and I were on the water at 7:00AM on Sunday before the sun came up. Nothing on topwater like we did the week before, the traps and jerkbait saved us early on. The Air temp was 36°F and the Water temp was 51°F. As the day went on it became harder to get bites, so get out on the water as early as you can.