Sign in to follow this  
reo

hook storage

Looking for ideas on how to store my hooks. 3 sizes of drop shot, 5 or 6 diferent types and sizes of worm hooks, whacky hooks. etc.  I currently put the packages into a zip bag and am looking for ideas that others use. I have thought about a small plano type box with the different compartments but am worried that I will spill it in the rush to retie.

Some one here has to have some better system.

Thanks in advance.

reo

Can't remember the numbers :-[but it is the small Plano. Double sides with 5 compartments on each side. Wal-Mart...

skillet

I agree, this is a great box for your hooks. You will like it!

x infinite!!!!! it's a great box and well worth the money. You won't get your hooks falling into other compartments. You won't be dissapointed.

x4, I have one and love it.

x infinite!!!!! it's a great box and well worth the money. You won't get your hooks falling into other compartments. You won't be dissapointed.

X5, best box to keep it all organized.

I use a small double sided plano box.  Works well for me.

I have tried several hard boxes excluding Falcon and could not find anything that I was real happy with.

What I actually found was that Quantum makes a soft bag that is sold at most Wal-Mart stores.  It has 10 tough plastic pages and so far it has been completely waterproof so none of my hooks have rusted.  I actually use this to hold all of my terminal tackle and its also nice because you can leave your hooks in their packages and its easy to tell whats what.

Good luck on whatever it is you decide to buy.  

Reo,

I went to Staples and purchased a plastic desk drawer organizer.

I have the organizer in a drawer and I store my hooks, by size, in the compartments.

Works great!  ;)

And as a follow-up, when I go fishing I just take along those hooks I will be using and put them in a Plano tackle box along with extra weights and peg-its.

Simple to use and works great.  ;)

I keep all my hooks/weights/beads/swivels/snaps organized in a plano double sided box.  Works great for keeping things organized at home.  Whenever I head out I just grab a few of whatever I think I may need and throw it in a smaller box.

I like leaving bass size hooks like Gammy Wide Gap or Owners in their original packages. Most are clear and reusable. I then put them in a bottom bouncer bag which you can find at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Really any soft storage bag would do. For small trout, panfish and dropshot hooks, I use old film plastic containers labeled with size and type. Use a label maker that I bought at staples and label all my small containers as well as sides of plano boxes. I found that when I used to put hooks in planos or falcons unprotected they would rust much faster. This way all my hooks are labeled and double protected.

What I actually found was that Quantum makes a soft bag that is sold at most Wal-Mart stores. It has 10 tough plastic pages and so far it has been completely waterproof so none of my hooks have rusted. I actually use this to hold all of my terminal tackle and its also nice because you can leave your hooks in their packages and its easy to tell whats what.
I like leaving bass size hooks like Gammy Wide Gap or Owners in their original packages. Most are clear and reusable. I then put them in a bottom bouncer bag which you can find at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Really any soft storage bag would do.

This is what I do as well. I wanted to get away from taking tons of boxes/bags, etc with me on every trip, and wanted to be more mobile. I got a 3600 tackle bag for lures, and use a Shimano worm bag for various soft plastics and hooks. The inside flap of the worm bag has 4 little zippered pouches, which are about exactly the size of a pack of worm hooks. It really is ideal for storing a good assortment of worm, wacky, dropshot hooks, and simplifies what I have to pack and remember.

Thanks guys, you have given me some things to consider

I use 2"x3" "bead" bags.  I label with a Sharpie. A box of 175 was $3 or $4 at Michael's (beading section).  Just make sure you them in with the eye down.  You can easily fit 10 bag and they take minimal room in the tackle box.

even though this may or may not not help , this is what i do..

3 boxes.

one double sided plano for saltwater. egg weights and split shots of various sizes and hooks.

one double sided for fresh. one side is weights , swivels , beads , and used hooks (i have a thing about putting used hooks with new). and the other is worm hooks in order from size.

the other is a single sided for hardbaits. all i have is a couple floating and a couple jointed rapalas , but more will be added when i come across a deal.

i keep just enough for a long day of fishing (very , very long) in each box that i keep in a 10" craftsman tool bag with a shoulder strap that i bring with me. the excess is thrown a larger tackle bag (the ugly stick "free" tackle bag).

X5, best box to keep it all organized.

X6, Awesome box

Later, ;)