Sign in to follow this  
Laggyman

Dead Fish

I went out to "the" pond today and found many of the biggest bass in the pond dead.... And only the big ones.... And all in one corner of the pond near some overhanging trees and duckweed.  All were lying on the bottom, side-up.

Natural cause? Age?

Something fishy??

Do Big fish just die off in a corner of the pond once the water temp starts going down?  Maybe low oxygen levels? A lot of debris was floating and the water was a lot more muddy than usual so maybe the pond turned over and the fish couldn't cope.

Any ideas?  

I have no idea, but I would notify my DNR.

I was fishing a river one time and I noticed something similar. There were three dead smallies (very big ones) that appeard to have their tails against the bottom and their heads were floating up towards the surface and swaying back and forth with the current. They were also covered with some strange algae or something. Very strange.

I always see carp dead in the canals.  There shouldnt be a massive die off unless the water has something wrong with it.  Did you notice anything different?  Water color?  Smell?  Usually bait fish are the first to die off.  

The pond is a really small body of water.  I usually saw 6 to 7 "big" (In relative terms) bass swimming around chasing stocked trout.

Only the big ones were dead. I could see 3 big ones dead. Only saw 3 big ones swimming around all day. 1 of them had some sort of algae or something growing and didn't look healthy. I hooked 1 up and it sure was healthy. But it quickly threw the hook. Smaller bass and the usually weaker trout were all there.  The only differences I noticed was the floating debris and muddy water. Something I concluded as being part of a turnover. But turnover in this tiny pond??

The "Big" fish I refer to are generally about 20in in length.  I have caught a couple of them this year but haven't weighed them so I don't know any weight figures.

About the DNR and local fisheries department,

It's illegal to keep Bass in ponds unless there is a legal permit. I doubt this pond has any. The DNR or Fisheries dept would be more than happy to kill all the bass!!

About the DNR and local fisheries department,

It's illegal to keep Bass in ponds unless there is a legal permit. I doubt this pond has any. The DNR or Fisheries dept would be more than happy to kill all the bass!!

If one type of fish is dying then I would assume the DNR would investigate.  There could be something in the water that would cause all of the fish to eventually die.  Not only that, it could present and evironmental threat to surrounding environments.

Here in upstate NY there is a fish virus going around called VHS. Heard it on the radio yesterday how it is in some of the lakes up here. That's all we need!

Jim

I'm going to try and find some sources for fish virus. See what info I can get.  I'm still hoping it isn't any virus and just a natuarl cause....

You never know who has came out and done what.     Could be natural, could disease, could be done by man poaching.

There are numerous types of chemical available to public that when used, takes oxygen out of waters, the smaller fish are effected first, and larger one later.

Ask the experts?

Matt.

Laggyman,

I may be able to help. I would need good photos of the dead fish, including close-ups,

and pictures of the pond. Water depth is important. It is very possible that the bottom

of the pond turned over. You talked about algae, is there a yellow, brown, golden algae present

in the pond? You can send me a PM if you want. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your kindness Lane.

I didn't snap any pictures this time I went out because I was too darned busy trying to catch a fish!! I'm planning on another trip to the pond next Wednesday (You guys must think I'm crazy driving 1.5 hours to a mere "pond")  so I'll snap a few pics here and there.  I'm not sure if the dead fish will still be there. Most of the dead fish get eaten by cats or birds.  As for close ups, I'll try to get as close as possible without falling off from the bank!  ;D I'll PM you once I get a couple of photos.

I'm not quite sure if it WAS algae, but some brown-ish stuff was floating around, and looked like an oil-slick from a wrecked tanker (Though I'm pretty sure it wasn't actual oil. Just looked like it). I noticed a huge decline in the areas the duckweed occupied.

Another point of interest is the fact that all the fish I did eventually catch were very healthy. I caught 5 Bass from the same place these dead ones were sleeping and they were very aggresive and would snap at anything passing in front of them.  

A lot of Carp were active as well. The Huge ones, Probably more than 24in long, were swimming around like crazy. Their smaller "cousins" the Crucian Carp were swimming in tight schools as usual.

To sum it up, I really didn't notice much out of the ordinary except for the dead fish and murky water.  And I thought dead fish were supposed to float belly up??  :-?

Thanks for all the help 'n advice!  

Laggyman,

You mention carp swimming around, those are not a good indicator of what really happens as they are amongst the hardiest fish and can oftentimes survive in extremely bad situations. I once came upon an incident where some fools spilled no less than twenty 1-lt bottles of beer in a small (3x3yards) garden pond. Several small catfish, a few small perch, a large (1.2m) eel, and two small (15cm) bass that lived in the garden pond were killed. But three 7lb carp continued bussiness as usual!

Now, you mention that smaller bass seemed ok, and this indicates that the bass you saw dead were the older specimens, that are naturally weaker when it comes to something affecting them. But what causes more concern for me is that you mention that stocked rainbow trout were not affected. Well, keep in mind that trout - especially stocked ones - are among the most sensitive fish to any disasters (low oxygen levels, toxins, silt in the water, sudden pH changes all will kill trout first, and then other species). Also, it is not necessary that baitfish will die off first - many species, especially cyprinids, are more tolerant to adverse conditions than bass or trout. What you describe seems to be specifically affecting largemouth bass. My suggestion is to try and get one of the dead fish, as well as one or two of the live bass, and take them to your local govermental Fisheries or Veterinary department and have them checked for possible parasites / nematodes / viruses. It could be a species - specific disease that could easily spread to other waters and affect seriously the bass populations of your area.

Hope all works well...

It is difficult to say what could be the problem, as Japan could have many things that are quite different than here in the US. However, without someone physically performing a autopsy on those dead fish to give you a legitimate answer, you simply are not going to know.

Ok, I'm back from fishing the same pond.

As I suspected, the dead fish are no longer there.  In fact there were NO dead fish this time.  And though the water was pretty cool, the more active bass were chasing around the stocked trout like mad. Seems like there's nothing to worry about  :-?

Maybe it was just a bad dream  ;D

The water although still quite a bit murky, seems to have cleared up a bit.

The most reassuring thing is that there were ducks and some large bird in the pond. Seems like the pond is healthy after all!

Thank you all for your concern & advice.

Laggyman, Sounds like the bottom of the pond turned over. Glad to hear that the

fish are active and chasing trout! Thanks for giving us the report.

Lane