Sign in to follow this  
bitman

How to measure a fish for a taxidermist?

If I happen to catch the big one this upcoming weekend at Amistad here in TX Id like to know how to measure it to have a replica made so I dont have to kill the fish!  Any tips would be useful, thanks to all of you who will help!

Bitman

PS Whats the limit poundage of a TX Share Lunker fish?  Im thinking 13 is the number!  I know thats nearly impossible but if it happens to me I would like to be ready :)  

Length, girth, and if it is a thick fish, do the measurement around the back fin as well. Also, be sure and take several good pictures with the sun at the camera's back. Good luck, wish I was there!!!

Guest avid

FYI - If for some reason you choose to bring an actual fish to the taxidermist for a skin mount be aware of this trick some will try to pull.

They will lay the fish down, but instead of having the ruler under the fish, they will take a retractable tape measure, and measure from nose to tail on the top of the fish.  The girth of the fish and the characteristics of the metal tape measure will add "length" to your fish.

When charging by the inch, this scam will add to the cost you pay.

i do not reccommend a replica. i caught a 9# fish a few years ago, its tail was chewed up and it was long and skinny.spawned out.the replica looks good, but it is just a bass, it does not resemble the fish i caught, and it cost more than an actual mount.next one will be a mount i took pictires and everything to the taxidermist, i believe he just ordered a 9# form