Sign in to follow this  
docav

take a soldier fishing

I am sure a lot of you have seen this but for those who have not seen it yet i will explain it. Others and I, Doug Cavin have started a kind of program for soldiers on leave or coming back from deployment. I want any of the soldiers who want a day on the lake to have a chance to do so. We as fisherman have a chance to do a good thing. Sign up and  have a chance to take one out for a day of fishing and fun. I have found a site for you to go to and sign up for free and you will be able to be contacted by a soldier in your area. I have many contacts who will be sending this link to family support groups and will be sending the soldiers to this site. I need as many people to sign up as possible so no soldier gets left out. Below is a link to the site you will have to join so you can post your contact info. I am not trying to move members from this site or any other site I post this. The site that I am using is the only free site I could use to do this. If you have any questions you can contact me at lkcavin@yahoo.com or 606-305-0030. Thank You, Doug Cavin

http://www.anglingmasters.com/TASF

Outstanding idea. I am taking a soldier fishing real soon. My son. He has been in Iraq for a almost two years. Syrian border, Mosul, and the last eight months in Baghdad. He is in Alaska now for debriefing and should be heading home to Maryland in a few weeks. He was stabbed once, had his ankle fractured by a roadside while on patrol in a Hummer but, he is coming home in one piece. We all prayed for him while he was there and will continue to do so for the men and women that are still there. I am proud of my son. He left as a boy and is coming back a man. Our troops deserve all the support we can give them. Your idea of taking soldiers fishing while they are on leave is just a plain great idea, thanks.

I was taken fishing by Rebbasser while down in San Antonio.  I was asking him where to fish knowing I was going to be down there for a few weeks.  As soon as he found out I was in the Air Force and just recently back from Iraq he took a frend of mine and I out on the lake with him while we were in town.  We had a great day!  Thanks again Rebbasser.

Jon

Doug, I'd love to take a soldier fishing up my area of N. Indiana. However, I went to your website and I'm not sure what to do to sign myself up. Can you give me some direction?

Duke

OH SURE... been a member of this site for HOW LONG? and not ONCE did I get to go fishing with anyone *sigh*

hahahahaha just messin.... SERIOUSLY

listen... if y'all are SERIOUS about taking a soldier fishing.. here is what you do... call your local Reserve Center... explain to the Unit Administrator what it is you would like... give them your number... they will contact a soldier that just got back from Iraq or something and there you go.... BOBS YOUR UNCLE!

AL

Outstanding idea. I am taking a soldier fishing real soon. My son. He has been in Iraq for a almost two years. Syrian border, Mosul, and the last eight months in Baghdad. He is in Alaska now for debriefing and should be heading home to Maryland in a few weeks. He was stabbed once, had his ankle fractured by a roadside while on patrol in a Hummer but, he is coming home in one piece. We all prayed for him while he was there and will continue to do so for the men and women that are still there. I am proud of my son. He left as a boy and is coming back a man. Our troops deserve all the support we can give them. Your idea of taking soldiers fishing while they are on leave is just a plain great idea, thanks.

glad you get to go fishing with your son soon... I am sure he is looking forward to it as much as you are... just be prepared ok? he may have become a man while he was gone... but he has expierenced and seen things that very few people will EVER understand... its going to be tough for him to transition to being in the land of the big px... just give him a lot of space and the oportunity to talk IF he wants to... it took me a long time to talk to anyone about my time over there...

good luck and God speed

AL

VERY GOOD POINT AL, I REMEMBER WHEN OF MY FRIENDS CAME BACK FROM VIET NAM. SOME OF THEM WERE NOT THE SAME FOR A LONG TIME. ONE NEVER WAS.

WHEN THEY WANT TO TALK THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW.

SFC_AL,

Yes, I certainly understand what you are saying. I am going to let him hold the reins on our conversations. He might not even want to go fishing. He might just need some alone time to regroup and get his thoughts together. I am prepared for that. I am just going to tell him I love him and that I am here when he needs me and go from there. Thanks for the reminder. I am excited to have him state side, thats all. I have a feeling that this is going to be a long process. We are here for him. God Bless, and thanks again for the heads up.---Jim

just don't treat him any different than you normally would... just be understanding if he feels a bit "distant" at times... thats it... :) I am sure he will want to fish if he used to fish before he went... I know Iwanted to do all those things when I got back

AL