Sign in to follow this  
John J.

Spawn Fishing

Hey everyone!

I know this is a little early to be talking about, but in the spring I am planning on fishing my local lake here in Orange County. My plan is to catch bass and stock my pond w/ them. By the time I plan on doing this is in the spring, mainly when the days get back up in the 60s or 70s and water is probably 60s. I read the articles and fish shallow for spawning bass. But the thing is I've never fished Lake Orange in the spring, only summer. The lake is pretty tough but I need help for some things to look for and where to find bass and what to use.

Ok first off, Lake Orange is a public lake and it gets down to 20 feet of water. It has a dam on the North side and it has plenty of logs, brush and other structure. At what depth could I find spawning bass? 0-5 feet? 5-10 feet? and what should I use. I heard that lizards are the thing to use during the spawn, texas-rigged. But what do yall think?

I have a pond that is an acre and a half and 7 foot at the dam. It has plenty of spawning places for bass, including a up to bank depth of 2 feet. The pond is fed by a creek that is replenished from an underground spring (so the water is constantly cold!) During the summer the surface layer of the pond (maybe the top 5 inches from the surface) can get up to 80 degrees but the rest stays 70s. In the winter like now it is easily in the 40s!

My next question...is this pond deep enought to house bass, crappie, catfish and bluegill (what we got stocked right now) without them dying from the coldness?

Just curious! Thanks for any help!  :)

God bless  8-)

I would have to say wait until the summer, let the spawning fish do what they gotta do....spawn! Im not saying don't fish for them in the spring, but I wouldn't take them out. I dont know VA regs. but I would be likley to bet that keeping bass during whatever months the spawn occurs down there is illegal. Besides, the bass have to repopulate the lake so let them do there job.

That being said, if you plan on releasing the bass, there is plenty of articles in the archives of this website devoted to spawn tactics. Read Up!  :)

You should NOT fish for spawning bass! Fish PRE-SPAWN and POST SPAWN, Fishing during the actual spawn can be FATAL and the spawn may not be successful. It is good to let nature run its course. Fishing for spawning bass leave sthe nest unguarded for predators  to prey on baby bass fry and eggs. I believe that lakes should be closed during the entire spawn to help increase the fertility of the lake and conserve bass. Just MHO -Mike

taking bass from one pond to another is usually illegal--and if it's not legal: its a bad idea (really stressful on the bass) they probably wouldnt survive the trip.

Good points...

The reason why I wanted to catch bass from the Lake and put them in my pond is because when we stocked the pond with bass my dad stocked it with like 300 small fingerlings (4-6") bass and for some reason they stocked it also with like 300 8" crappie and bluegill. I am afraid that the bass will not have enough time to grow before being eaten by the bream and/or crappie. And besides, I don't want to wait 3-4 years before being able to catch a nice size bass! I want to be able to just walk down to the pond and catch nice bass other than driving over to the lake and fishing.

I don't know if it is illegal or legal...I don't see what harm it could do...

The bass or fish will be in shock for a little while, as far as temperature differences, but like all the other fish we've stocked, they will eventually get use to it...The temperature difference really isn't all that much. We limed the pond to reduce the ph level (it was like 6.5) and we threw in 1 ton of lime, I will throw in some structure for the fish (we have  a couple of wooden crates and stuff) and the pond was dug with a back hoe, so the bottom is really irratic. It is a hospitable pond.

Summer would be a good choice anyway, nice warm days, the fish will be up against the banks in the morning and nail topwaters. I am looking forward to it!!

Seasons Greetings!  8-)

I still think you should wait until after the spawn. Let the fish repopulate their home lake, then if its legal, go catch some fish for the pond. If you take them out before or during the spawn, the lake will deprived of the young bass it needs to sustain a population. Also, the fish you pull out may not spawn in your pond due to the shock an change of environment, so it probably wouldnt be doing you any favors in that regard anyway. Might as well just wait till their done spawning. Dont worry, they'll still be there!!

with that regard fishingyank is right, i think i read somewhere(forgot the exact quote) but of the thousands  of eggs that bass fertilize, like 1 percent of those reach adulthood, so messing with that lakes spawn would be really bad, already few make it to become bass big enough to reach adulthood and then those laying eggs cannot even help with that 1 percent because they are moved from their current lake, thats my only concern, just my opinion but i totally agree stocking you pond would be great, i would try going to the local dec and see what they say, tell them you dont want fingerlings and that you want bass of size, hope some of this helps

The reason why I wanted to catch bass from the Lake and put them in my pond is because when we stocked the pond with bass my dad stocked it with like 300 small fingerlings (4-6") bass and for some reason they stocked it also with like 300 8" crappie and bluegill. I am afraid that the bass will not have enough time to grow before being eaten by the bream and/or crappie. And besides, I don't want to wait 3-4 years before being able to catch a nice size bass! I want to be able to just walk down to the pond and catch nice bass other than driving over to the lake and fishing.  

the reason they stocked it with bluegill and crappie is for creation of an ecosystem to feed the bass.

I am afraid that the bass will not have enough time to grow before being eaten by the bream and/or crappie

even if you put bass into the pond they too will eat the baby bass.

good ponds take time--and strategic and responsible harvesting. until then stick the lake.

No offense, but you are not a fisheries biologist...so I dont suspect that you would see what harm it would do. Transplanting fish is typically a bad idea, but you are gonna do what you want, right?

Just know that you have been warned if it doesnt turn out right. If it does, great job to you. I would let your own pond develop and create its own "year class" of fish. Stick to fishing the lake for you larger fish for now...

If seven foot is the maximum depth of your pond , I would say it is not deep enough to protect the fish from winter kill when you have a prolonged freezing spell.

I am afraid that the bass will not have enough time to grow before being eaten by the bream and/or crappie

even if you put bass into the pond they too will eat the baby bass.

good ponds take time--and strategic and responsible harvesting. until then stick the lake.

Leave the spawing fish alone, your not going to benifit yourself either way and the shock on the fish will probably kill it.  How old is the pond?  How long ago was it stocked?  

No offense, but you are not a fisheries biologist...so I dont suspect that you would see what harm it would do. Transplanting fish is typically a bad idea, but you are gonna do what you want, right?

Just know that you have been warned if it doesnt turn out right. If it does, great job to you. I would let your own pond develop and create its own "year class" of fish. Stick to fishing the lake for you larger fish for now...

To be honest, no...

I am not going to do what I want to do, that's the reason I posted it, to get yalls opinion on this matter. After reading what all of you have said I will just have to get some patience and spend time fishing the lake.

BassMaster_1, the pond is only a year old, it was built during the summer last year and we stocked it over the fall.

BassBrat, you probably are right, but we've heard plenty of opinions, some say it is not deep enough, and some people say it is...we did a deer drive today, and it was in the 30s, the pond has a thin layer of ice on top. Even if the pond is not deep enough the only possible way to make it deeper is to spread more dirt on the dam...

But I just talked to dad and in the state of Virginia, 7 feet max is way deep enough. My parents have friends, and their pond is 5 foot max, and every year I can catch a bass at least 3 pounds. The biggest I caught out of their pond was 3 pounds, 10 ounces. I believe 7 foot is deep enough. It would be nicer to get it deeper...but 7 foot is plenty....

and lastly Murray, the thing of it is, I know bluegill and crappie are natural bass food, but the thing is, the bass we stocked were fingerlings (4-6" inches long) and the crappie and bluegill were 8-12 inches long. There is no way a 4-6" bass could eat a 8-12" bluegill/crappie. And crappie are known to take over a pond....

Then again we did stock the pond with 20 pound of minnows that are 1" inch. That'll feed the bass, crappie and bluegill. But what I am afraid of is that the crappie/bluegill will eat the baby bass and they will not be big enough to grow.

Anyway, thanks for all the opinions guys! I will check the pond in the spring and see how things are going (not by fishing). And I might fish a little in the summer to see what all I catch (mainly bluegill and crappie possibly...)

Season's greetings  8-)