Sign in to follow this  
Jolicious

Pond Fishing - Advice?

Well, dang it....  I haven't fished a pond in at least 20 years...  I am going this weekend with a friend and our boys to a pond.  From what I understnad, the pond is about 25 yards across the middle, and has little visible cover.  To make things even worse, my buddy has NO IDEA of the depth..  BUT!  His son did catch a 5 pound bass out of it last week, and half the pond was covered in ice, so I know that at least there is one fish in there  ;)

I am asking for some advice on how to fish this thing Saturday morning..  the weather Friday night up her in Arkansas is supposed to be clear skies with a low around 45 degrees.  the sAturdya high is supposed to be mid-50's, although we are only fishing from 7:30 until around 10:00 so I doubt the high temp will factor in much.

Any help form my fishing brothers??

If your boys can fish soft plastics, a Senko or Fat Ika will probably catch a few.

Senko?  Why, of course  ;) - Already have one tied on for them.

I took your advice in the "When All Else Fails" post a couple months ago and fell in love with Senkos!

I agree with RWs advice to fish it slow, senko, worm, something that the fish wont have to chase.  Although this past January when fishing ponds in Iowa we had some luck working a spinnerbait real slow.  I think slow will be the key for you.  

You said something about someone catching a 5lber, what were they using?  Might want to start there, im not going to beat the senko thing to death.  I had alot of luck late fall with a white suspending crankbait (white because of the water color) but try to locate the warmer water or maybe a feeder creek with bait.  

A slow moving worm sounds good to me, but you might want to try swimming a jig also if the water is cold. Just make sure you use a pork trailer because it allows the jig to fall slower (and SLOWER is the key).

in similar conditions ive been catching most of my pond bass on a jig/chunk or a fat ika.  more numbers ont he ika but the larger fish have been on a jig.

matt

If there is a clearer area of the pond, fish that.  It is easyer to catch bass in clear cold water than muddy cold water.  Good luck!