Sign in to follow this  
troylikesfishing

HELP

I was fishing today in one of my ponds. I was using a rapala. Almost every time i would cast i could see bass coming after it and fallowing it. Once in a while i would get a bit, but not often. Am i doing somthing wrong? please help

If you can see them following it but not hitting it, it's a good indication that they are interested but somethings not quite right.  Try changing colors, that might trigger them to grab a hold of it.  Or try varying your retrieve with pauses.

Jason

Ya know, I don't know what line you're using, but maybe think about going a little lighter in strength.  I know this has been a hot topic of debate in the past, but I am a firm believer in the idea of line "spooking" fish away from striking.  Also, I can saw with all confidence that I personally do better when I use Vanish vs. using XL.

I'd switch colors. You might also follow up with another bait, like a senko, when you see a bass follow your primary lure. Just toss that senko wherever you saw the bass and let it fall slowly.

On a same level as Craw was saying I would say ANY plastic lure. What I think would work best would be a wacky rigged YUM Dinger or Senko.

Experiment a little by throwing different lures and trying different colors, eventually you will have the right combination to cause the bass to strike. Another thing is, keep this in mind...

IF YOU CAN SEE HIM, HE CAN SEE YOU! Bass are easily spooked, some may say ponds are an exception because the pond gets pressure and bass are used to seeing humans, but if you were a bass and you seen a human with a rod and reel, would you like to get caught? lol!

Just my $0.02   ;)

Good luck!  :)

i know just the cure:

if this happens again, get a small spinnerbait (chart., white), and just slowroll it..it will work!

Your not doing anything wrong the fish are just not active enough to hammer the bait. I would change to something on the bottom.

Husky Jerk!

Any suspending jerkbait in a similar size and pattern will likely do the trick.  Allow the bait to pause and the fish will likely hit it.  Vary the time you let it pause until you find what works.