Sign in to follow this  
moby bass

Rapala Clackin' Rap at Gander Mtn.

I was drooling over the new Rapala Clackin' raps at Gander the other day. Beautiful looking lures. Substantial weight 7/8 oz. Has anyone used any of these yet?  I would like to pick one up and give it a try this spring but wasn't sure what pattern to get. The mossback shiner looked very interesting.  Any reviews yet?

I've tried it a couple of time, but haven't caught anything on it yet.   I'm going to try it again today or tomorrow and see how it does.

The lure is big.  It's thick - nearly twice as a thick as a Lucky Craft LVR D-10.   It will cast a long way, like most lipless.  It is very nose-heavy.  It sinks extremley fast, nose first.  It's rattle seems a lot more subtle than, say, a Rat-L-Trap or Yo-Zuri Rattln Vide.  It doesn't have a lot of action on a slow retrieve.  If you want to fish a lipless slow, go with a Yo-Zuri Hardcore Drum.  But speed it up and it does okay.  The best part is that it will rest on the bottom on its nose with its butt end stickin up.  Great hooks.

I have to first say that I haven't fished these yet, BUT!!! My fishing partner and I did a little test with these and several other lipless. The "official" bathtub test ;). We took the Clackin' Rap, Red Eye, Aruku, Rat-L-Trap, LVR D-7, and the Excalibur One Knocker and swam them a little bit.

The Clackin' Rap looks to be a versatile bait. Its action is almost a swimming action. The bigger body definitely makes this bait standout from the rest. It also stood up better then any of them. You could also fish this bait a lot slower then the others if you wanted. It keeps a nice swimming action when moved slowly.

Edit: (Looks like Micro says you can't fish it slow. My test was only in a tub, ha, so go with his advice.)

As far as fishing them, I'll find out this coming week down on Guntersville. My partner will be throwing his usual Spot so we'll see which performs better.

Of the other lures I really liked the action of the Aruku. It also stood up really well. The Aruku and the Clackin' Raps are completely different baits and I plan on throwing both a lot this coming week and season.

David Fritts is doing good right now in the FLW event on Guntersville. I'd like to see if he's throwing that Clackin' Rap down there.

I didn't say you can't fish it slow.  I just said it didn't look like it had much action fished slow.  

I didn't say you can't fish it slow. I just said it didn't look like it had much action fished slow.

Understood, I respect your opinions and always enjoy your reviews. Hope I didn't sound like a disagreed with you because I haven't even fished them yet.

I'm certainly not the authority on these baits.  What I see may be different that what others see.  "Not much" is very subjective.  I di think these baits will find a niche.  I think ti will be a good bed fishing lure.  It's size, subtle action, and the fact is nose stands on the bottom makes me thinks so.

The bed idea came to my mind too. Also I fish a lot of steep rock banks and points and look forward to hopping it down them.