Sign in to follow this  
hawgchaser

Educate me on wake baits

This is one technique I have not explored. I just saw a short segment on the Bass Pros and the LC RC1.5 looked fantastic.

So how and when do you guys fish these? What structure do you fish? What about in clear water? What action rod is best?

Lastly, feed the bait monkey some ideas of good ones to try. I am going shopping pretty soon and will grab some of these.

I'm just starting to get into this technique as well.  I would imagine anytime bass are around shallow cover (weeds, laydowns, etc) would be a great time to throw these.  I plan on throwing this on either a 7' medium St. Croix rod with 15# test or a 7' mh crankbait rod with 12# test.  I picked up some Mann's Elite Wakers and was also looking at the Rapala version too.

i love wake baits. there is a wake bait tied on my crankbait rod pretty much all the time. the rod is a St. Croix Avid 6' 6" Medium power Medium action.

i fish these crankbaits in shallow water over any kind of cover. weeds, sticks, stumps, lily pad edges, pretty much anywhere in shallow water.

the bandit footloose has been my go-to wakebait but i just bought two rapala DT FAT 01's, and they look VERY promising.

The RC 1.5 is a great bait but a shallow crank..not a wake bait...wake baits make a "V" bulge on top of the water and shouldn't run greater than 3'' deep.  Lucky Craft does make an RC wake bait if that's what you mean...

I normally fish wake baits during a topwater bite or topwater type situation.  also fish them around and between standing timber and in skinny water.  I like the Mann's Waker Elite and fish it often.

I've done well on the Xcalibur Wake Crank when fishing over shallow grass or stained water, Ive had some vicious strikes on this last year. I've also tried the RC version, caught a few on it. The Ima Roumba looks promising for this application along with the new one from Mann's. This is definetely a bait style you want to add to your arsenal.

am a wake bait fanatic.

add the storm subwart as a must-have and make sure you keep a v-wake in the water.

the rhoumba is a fun bait, as well, and can be fished twitched, waked or simply retrieved.

I've had alot of luck waking a Huddleston Deluxe, 0 ROF, rate of fall, over points with deep water on both sides as well as in the shallows.