Sign in to follow this  
PD

Jerkbait help (esp. the Vision 110)

OK everyone, how about helping out a jerkbait novice. I've fished a jerkbait a few times in my life, but never really seriously. That's about to change.

I fish a relatively clear deep reservoir in the southeast. Water has a good five to seven foot visibility with temps ranging from upper forties to low fifties right now. Mid-forties is about as cold as it ever gets. Two trips ago I was playing around with a LC pointer about half way back in a creek and after I reel it down to depth and twitch it a few times I let it sit. I notice that the pointer suspends very well and sits pretty much motionless. As I'm looking up at the front of the boat at a school of baitfish on sonar I suddenly feel my line swimming away. After a good fight a five lb largemouth is in the boat (pretty good size for this lake). So now I'm hooked on jerkbaits and need to learn more.

Last weekend, with similar water conditions, I decide to try one of my new Megabass Vision 110s. I fire the 110 way out on my Helium 69apc/metanium mg7 combo with 12lb sunline shooter. I slowly work the bait back watching for it to get close so I can see its action. Once in view, to my surprise, it is nose down and coming up to the surface rather quickly. I know it is classified as a slow floater but I actually feared that something might be wrong with the 110 (after more research when I got home I realize that it was in fact working properly and it is a nose down bait). I believe that it will take a five second minimum pause to get bit and don't think this action is going to work. I cut the 110 off and put the pointer back on and proceed to get seven bites in the 30 minutes before we had to get off the water.

Now my questions concerning the Vision 110:

a)      Given the seemingly aggressive action of the 110, especially considering it doesn't suspend, is it suited for cold water, non-aggressive conditions? Or is it made for when the water warms and/or the fish are in a feeding mood?

;)      If fished in cold water, does anyone alter the lure with suspend strips/dots or lead wire around the hooks? If suspend dots are used do they affect the 110's action?

Any advice on jerkbait fishing, best conditions, proper retrieve/cadence, and the Vision 110 in particular, would be much appreciated.

The visions will probably be better suited when the water warms up some. I fish regular LC pointers until the water starts warming up a good bit, then I'll start throwing slender pointers (they have a more erratic action than the regular pointers).  The key right now with jerkbaits is to sloooow down. Its nothing to wait 30 seconds or longer between jerks when the water is cold. Bring the vision back out more towards spring when the water temp starts going up but until then stick to the pointers. When summertime comes around, you don't need to stop throwing jerkbaits. A lot of guys have the mindset that jerkbaits are fall through spring lures but they are killer in the summer too, you just have to speed up the retrieve some. I like to find the clearest water I can when fishing jerkbaits, but don't be afraid to fish stained water as well. Also, do everything with the tip down when fishing jerkbaits. This means jerking, setting the hooks, and fighting the fish with the tip down or to the side whenever possible. I can't count the number of times I've ripped hooks out of bass' mouth when fishing jerkbaits because I was fighting the fish incorrectly. Additionally, I find that a 7:1 reel helps get line up quickly between jerks. Also, make sure to keep a pair of good pliers in the boat because I've seen plenty of bass swallow big pointers whole. Hope this helps.

I knew Daniel would chime in on the 110 for helping. He is a wealth of knowledge for overseas baits.

If you haven't tried the new Spro McStick, you should to check it out.  It casts like a bullet, has extremely sharp Gamakatsu hooks and great paint jobs.  I fished one yesterday for the first time and caught a 6.5lb largemouth on the Chrome Shad color.  They are cheaper than the Lucky Craft Pointer and Vision 110.  No need to spend $25 on a jerkbait if you are just starting to learn how to fish them.  You will likely lose a few.  

The old standy Rogues are still good but can be tough to cast in windy conditions, but they are only $4-$5.    Good luck.

Thanks for the response guys.

Good advice bass wrangler. I knew that I needed a slow pause to get bit, which is why I pretty much came to the conclusion that I needed to go back with the LC. The tip down is very good advice. I'm not sure that the helium 69apc will remain my jerkbait rod, but the length is just right for me to keep the tip just above the water.

T-rig, I've ordered the suspending model. Looks too good not to try out. Do you know if it has the same action as the original? I've also got an X-80 trick darter coming. Per the Tackle Tour review it suspends well and has some crazy action, even though it is a smaller bait. I've heard good things about the riprizer. I have a couple of Imakatsu cranks but honestly haven't had a chance to use them yet.

gabes, I definitely want to try the mcstick. I have lucky craft ghost minnow and a few other translucent colors as well as chartreuse shad. I don't have a "chrome" sided jerkbait which I hear is a must have, especially sometimes on sunny days. I think the chrome shad mcstick will fill that void nicely.

You are certainly correct in that you don't have to start off with a bunch of $25 jerkbaits. I have a few megabass cranks and really like the details and the finish on them, so I wanted to try the vision 110 which I have heard so many good things about. The finish on the megabass products probably do a better job of catching fisherman (like me) than fish!! ;)