Sign in to follow this  
tkite16

Fishing  creek channel away from the bank

Okay so now I have my boat and all my new GPS and fish finders. I went out last night and just looked for the creek channels . I found one that where the creek channel comes right up to the mouth of a big cove and then swings out back into the main lake. I showed quite a few fish stacked up in the channel on fish finder

Its the kind of place that up till now I would have fished the points of the cove and then just went on up in the cove and fished the cover. So for the first time I want to fish where there is no visual cover . So this is my plan for that tell me if this is wrong or what a better way to do it would be.

My plan is to drop buoys marking the creek channel where the big bend is and fish it all morning till I prove to myself I can catch fish without a bank or cover to throw at.

My biggest problem is what lures to use. Water drops from 8 ft in mouth of cove down to 25 in the bottom of the channel. I thought of starting with a rat-l-trap and running it down through there and then some deep diving crankbaits. But what else would you try. I quit fishing in 1994 and just started again I've been reading a little about drop shotting would this be an option?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

We do a lot of that type fishing on Kentucky Lake ... the most common lures are Carolina Rigs, Heavy Jigs, and very deep crankbaits like Norman's DD22.

Good Luck

post-7263-13016300739_thumb.gif

Go with your favorite technique?    ;)