Sign in to follow this  
jcgkn330

August Fishing

Oh man there are so many different ways to catch bass in August. It depend alot on where you live, what type of lake you fish, water temp, water color, type of cover, type of structure and on and on and on. There are some great articles on this website about fishing during the summer time. Go to the green boxes at the top and hover over the one that says Fishing Articles. Then click on "Summer Fishing Articles" and start reading.

Welcome aboard!

For me this is usually a great month for bigger bass. Soft plastics on and around structure in deeper water is what I would suggest. If you can stand the heat, the best time of day is from about 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM.

Here in middle georgia, it's hot, humid, sticky, and  . . .well . . . hot. And so is the water. Everyone around here says go deep--points, ledges, creek beds with carolina rigs and deep diving crankbaits. My problem is the confidence factor in those baits, or the lack of confidence. While 75% of the fish may surely be in those locations, the other percentage of fish have to be shallow, or at least close to it. So why not fish with confidence for the lower percentage fish than the other way around.

The weather helps also. Any cloudy day you can find, get out there. Just two days ago, a buddy of mine and I went out and hooked into some nice fish in mid afternoon on topwater. It was overcast, of course. But also, most everyone on this lake fishes deep this time of year, so why not go shallower?

So to answer your question, fish what you know. Also, with a cloudless day in the forecast get out there early. And late.

I do generally fish slower this time of year and my all time favorite is old faithful--the green plastic frog.

Roadwarrior!  You confused me with that answer.  I'm getting ready to head to NH and do a lot of fishing.  I have my sunrise/sunset chart for the month of August and was all ready to do what I've been reading.  Early in the morning and late afternoon and early evening!  What IS the best time of day to fish in August?

Sunup to sundown. 90% of the fish I catch this time of year are caught in two

foot or less of water. They will get in the pads and next to logs and wait for prey

to come along, thats where I come into the picture with my buzz bait or frog.

You can catch a lot of fish in the middle of the day by hitting those places.

Give it a try and see what happens.

well burning a curly tail worm works pretty good also using as a floating,buckshot sinker or slip sinker. just do the oppisite of slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww which is go as fast as you can this produces alot of strikes for me

Roadwarrior! You confused me with that answer. I'm getting ready to head to NH and do a lot of fishing. I have my sunrise/sunset chart for the month of August and was all ready to do what I've been reading. Early in the morning and late afternoon and early evening! What IS the best time of day to fish in August?

Since most fishermen fish shallow water it SEEMS like low light is the best time of day to catch bass. Most of those fish will be "tournament" fish (small). The better fish WILL sometimes come up shallow to feed, but I think they spend most of their life on structure in RELATIVELY deep water, adjacent to even deeper water.

My "best time" to catch BIG bass is around the middle of the day.

I believe there is something to what RW is saying. I've been up at my local pond everynight this week, from about 7 to 9 and I've been slaying them.  I've caught so many I've actually lost count.  But they have all been small to mid sized with 18 inches being the biggest. I know we don't have too many big ones in the pond but I'm going to give high noon a shot this weekend and see if the average size of the catch increases. BTW jigs, senkos, crigs and last night curly tail grubs have been working for me.

Roadwarrior!

My "best time" to catch BIG bass is around the middle of the day.

And that's a fact. Presently  at 10:23 here in the sunny south it is 95 in the shade. I love the heat, but?!?

I would focus on deep structure breaks, and always have a rod sitting beside you with a topwater chugger or popper. If you see minnows busting anywhere, shallow, deep, it does not matter, cast the topwater in there.. you may only have a few seconds before the aggressive fish go back deep, so don't dodle