Sign in to follow this  
NaterD

RATS!

Hey guys, I was fishing last night and I was throwing an Albino Mouse for most of the night.  I had a about 10 or more nice explosions ... but no hook ups.  Any suggestions for luggin those things out of the lilly pads while still giving ample hook set time?... by the end of the night i was wishing i had an ugly stik with 50 lb braid!

Are you perhaps setting the hook on the explosion?  As with any topwater, wait until you actually feel the fish before swinging on them.

Have you tried Manns Phat Rat?They claim to have a 87% better hookup ratio.I don't know about that but they're the best I've used.

Rick Wells

Tallahassee

definitely use braid-power pro 65#. i have a rule of thumb when fishing frogs, rats, lizards etc.. keep your rod at 12 oclock, wait until the fish pulls it down to 3 oclock, them wack'em!

A few of my suggestions would be. Try using a black frog or rat, bass seem to hone in on the higher contrast of a darker lure at night. Definately get yourself some 50#-65# powerpro braid. A 7'-7'6 H Fast tip rod will help and set the hook after you feel the weight of the fish. Swing for the fence!!! Just my .02

Personally, an ugly stick would be the last rod I would use in heavy cover.  You need a rod with backbone to move the fish.  Not knocking ugly sticks, just saying.

Best advice here is to wait till you feel the weight before you swing on her.

Alright fellas, Went back out last night and tried feeling the weight before setting the hook... and i landed 2 nice fish on some of those Spro frogs.  I had a few other bits but sometimes the fish seem to poke at it and not whole heartedly want it.  Thanks for the advice guys!