Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

LMB growth rate

Given an ideal scenario,how long does it take a Bass to reach a weight of 5 lbs?

Reason im asking is because I once caught a 4.5-5 lb fish and released it after capturing on film. The guy fishing near me asked why I released it. I told him it was for a variety of reasons:

1. Respect for the catch. This fish didnt get that big overnight. It had to flee from predators,and do all it could to survive. I figure it took this fish some time to reach the size it did.It gave me a good fight and I appreciated it and thus I released it

2. I want to try to maintain the fishery,If this had been a female,I want her to lay eggs next year to allow this fishery to flourish.

3. I want to give future generations the opportunity to catch something so nice(hoping when the fish is caught again that it will again be released...one can only hope)

This guy tells me the particular fish I just released got to be that size in just a matter of one year. Gee wish it were true. Realistically how long does it take a fish to reach a certain size?

I know a 5 lber in a large lake may not be much,but the body of water I caught this fish in is very small,about the size of a swimming pool. So to catch that fish in that pond,well to me it was special. As a matter of fact,the very fish im speaking of is pictured in my avatar.

Guest ncbass24

I've heard that on average, a bass grows about one pound per year. It really depends on its living conditions, they can grow much faster in the south or a little slower in the north.

There are three major variables:

1. Subspecies (northern-strain or Florida-strain)

2. Latitude (Florida or Ontario?)

3. Forage Base

On balance, it'll take 7 years to grow a 5-lb largemouth bass

(10 yrs in northern U.S. <> 4 yrs Florida)

Roger