Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Can someone ID this aquatic Plant

This plant grows in the lake I fish and it gets REAL thick in some areas. I get it wrapped up in my anchor when I retrieve it. Sometimes when the water is low,I even get the shaft of my trolling motor in it. Of course then I end up getting stuck in it because its so thick.

Heres a more clear shot of a single strand.

Yes, looks like the eurasian watermilfoil. There is this river which is full of this stuff and the bass love it.

In this pic you can see some of this stuff hanging on the lure. Looks the same as in the first pic.

post-7272-130163007437_thumb.jpg

Looks like the same stuff my dad and I pull up EVERY time we go to the Occoquan River.  Our anchor is normally covered with it because a majority of the ground there has those weeds everywhere.  Might not be the same EXACT milfoil, but it looks darn similar to what we pull up.

Annoyious Milfoilus

I have tons of that crap in the lake closest to my house. I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. It's great for bass but it's really tough to get through. I've lost a few really nice fish this year because they've gotten wrapped up in it. And a couple I even had braid on.  >:(

That my friend is a bass's home  ;)

Toledo Bend is covered with Eurasian Milfoil & Hydrilla Verticillata

I did a brake job on my truck and the Rotors were going in the trash anyway,so I figured what the heck. And if the anchor line breaks ,well,worse things have happened!! Ive seen people fill coffee cans with cement and insert an eye bolt in the top. I have also seen people fill gallon Jugs with sand or cement.

Good weed to have around for bass.

As long as you don't have too much of it. One of the local ponds I fish is around 3-4 acres, with only 1 acre of water usable by the fish. The milfoil is so thick the fish can't swim in it. When I catch a fish I have to be careful about where I put it back in because they can't get back to open water.

The place has some nice bass, but they have all been getting really skinny since this stuff has taken over the pond. Tons of baitfish in the pond, but way too many places for the baitfish to hide where the bass can't find them.