Sign in to follow this  
Guitarist86

Fishing during a cold front...

if the lake u fish hapens to have grass mats than i would flit a heavy texas rg or a heavy jig. the fish are most likely burried in thick grass mats.

I don't think there's any grass mats in the lake i fish  :o

Mostly open (murky) water that gets about 25 feet max. Also, there's alot of wood cover but most of it is close to shore at around 2-10 feet.

I fish a 30 ft murky lake a lot.  I generally fish "shallow" in 10-1 ft. of water.  I can only dense grass out to 6 feet and after that there isn't much.  I think 90% of the forage is going to be shallow.  10 feet is a 1/3 of the overall lake depth so who knows how shallow the fish think that is.  Pay close attention to any vegetation and use this to build the underwater terrain.  

I try to fish everything slow in murky water, big pauses on my frogs and worms, suspending jerk baits, big colorado spinnerbaits.  It's been pretty windy the past three evenings I've gone fishing and I've had the most success with frogs and worms in pads and on the edges of grass.  It's slow fishing, usually catching only a few quality fish.  

Look for irregularities

Fish slow, fish thoroughly.  Try to make contact with the wood and let the bait fall to trigger a strike.  

pads.jpg

(there's a little bit of lillies in the midddle somewhere)