Sign in to follow this  
Del from philly

Every Lake is a NEw WORLD

my favorite part about fishing is how every lake seems to be a different world....

the bass are so different in every lake, its almost like fishing for a different species everytime....

anyone notice this, some baits work in some lakes....some work in others

senkos kill in one, but spinners may be the killer somewhere else.....

its finding this stuff out that makes fishign so great

anybody know what i meen

I agree.  There's nothing better to me then pulling up to a new lake with not knowing a thing and being able to figure out a pattern by the end of the day.  It always amazes me how each lake has its differences.  I went to one lake for the first time looking for LM.  By the end of the day I caught 8 smallmouth and 1 musky.  So you never know what you are going to get either.  To me that is part of the joy of fishing.

Well said.  I totally agree.  There are definately patterns that work on one body of water that might not ever work somewhere else.  It depends on how much the place is fished, what the fish normally see, and of course the air and water conditions.  But I know there is one pond I go to where 4" wenkos and Chat spinners kill.  But there is a lake down south I fish where I seem to have decent success with floating rapalas near brush.  Then I go to a local lake around here and red strike king twist tail worms with black flecks produce (which unfortunately I didn't have on me the last two times out there).  It's cool being able to solve the puzzles of these bodies of water.  That's why fishing never seems to get old, not even when you don't catch anything.  Because you know next time you go out there you are gonna throw different stuff and probably haul one or two in.  

I agree. There's nothing better to me then pulling up to a new lake with not knowing a thing and being able to figure out a pattern by the end of the day. It always amazes me how each lake has its differences. I went to one lake for the first time looking for LM. By the end of the day I caught 8 smallmouth and 1 musky. So you never know what you are going to get either. To me that is part of the joy of fishing.

Thats exactly what im talking about

new lakes or ponds are the best.....

pulling up and figuring out is what its all about.......

Hmm...

I've never met a bass that didn't like a Senko, Fat Ika, tube, jig, Rapala.......

Not always the same lure or presentations on a given day, but that's how it is everywhere.

Bass are the same all over the world.

Biologically a bass is a bass.Just as a human is a human.Does this mean all humans have the same lifestyles and habits?No!I don't believe bass do either.

Across the world bass live in different underwater environments.Structural features vary on lakes,ponds,rivers,etc.Some man-made fisheries feature points,ledges,and submerged tributaries that form travel routes for bass's seasonal migration.Others may be nothing more than a "soup bowl" that slowly tapers down to level depths.Bottom compositions will vary also.Soft bottoms of mud or sand and rocky bottoms effect water clarity and vegation growth.Which brings us to cover.Vegation is proven to be a bass's preferred cover but not all bass are blessed with mats of hydrilla or pondweed.Standing timber is common but not in every lake.In some ponds a bass may have to settle for a single laydown.One thing that is a fact,all bass love cover of some kind.

Current is another element that comes into play but not everywhere.Bass that live in river systems use current to their advantage when it comes to feeding time.Breakwalls and eddies form ambush points for baitfish and smaller fish that get caught up in the current.I also believe that bass that live in river systems have expanded migrational habits.

Bass are also going to target the most efficient forage.Not all bodies of water have big schools of baitfish.One thing is true,a bass will eat almost anything that moves,within reason or sometimes outside of reason.However,efficiencey is key.

The differences in environments have effect on bass habits.I believe they are a dominant freshwater predator that have adapted to different environments.

I agree with RW,you will catch bass in any fishery on most all lures.Weather and water conditions and time of day and year factor in as well.Yet,different patterns do dominate different waters.I haven't found a bass that wouldn't eat a senko,tube,or jig either.

JMO,hope it makes some sense! CJ

Makes all the sense in the world.

Great post!

8-)

I AGREE! Last weekend I fished a series of 7 small farm ponds with a friend, and each pond fished differently. What worked on one, didn't draw a bite on the next. We only fished for 6 hours that day, but I leared a lot more than I would have if we would have stuck to the bigger pond. It also confirmed some things I've read here (but sometimes doubted).

Color matters. Dark baits really did outperform realistic colors in muddy water (and vice-versa in clear water)

Topwater works at midday...if the lake level is low and the water is muddy.

Big fish will hit fast moving baits, even when the water's hot.

While the fishing was great, It was the first day all season that I couldn't buy a bite on a soft stick bait. That one I can't figure out.