Sign in to follow this  
jeremyt

Confusing article.

I thought bass were always structure oriented. Today I received my states outdoor magazine and for a lake I usually fish, it said to forget structure for the most part that the bass would be in open deep water feeding on forage. Maybe I am reading into it too much, but I thought that a bass would never stray far from structure.

I dont know what alke your talking about maybe the atricle was talking abut following the baitfish to catch bass in the falll

What is met is bass will never be far from prey. The concept that LMB need something to orient themselve to, like a structural element or cover is false. Bass don't need cover or structure, but they prefer it because most of the time they are not feeding and prefer something for a sancturay like cover or structure.

Fall is a transtional period between the warm water period and cold water period. The bait fish schools of shad for example are relocating and the bass follow. Not all lakes have shad but they will have bait fish that are also moving to the cold water locations which will be the warmest water available with a food source for both the prey and predator. Bass prefer breaks, however current and temperature changes are also break lines that bass ssek and if cover or structure is nearby, thats where they hold waiting for prey. Make sense? if not please reply and I will try to explain, it's a complex topic to answer is one short thread.

WRB

Just because somebody is wrong doesn't make somebody right.Just because somebody is right doesn't make somebody wrong.

What lake you talkin' about?

What is met is bass will never be far from prey. The concept that LMB need something to orient themselve to, like a structural element or cover is false. Bass don't need cover or structure, but they prefer it because most of the time they are not feeding and prefer something for a sancturay like cover or structure.

Fall is a transtional period between the warm water period and cold water period. The bait fish schools of shad for example are relocating and the bass follow. Not all lakes have shad but they will have bait fish that are also moving to the cold water locations which will be the warmest water available with a food source for both the prey and predator. Bass prefer breaks, however current and temperature changes are also break lines that bass ssek and if cover or structure is nearby, thats where they hold waiting for prey. Make sense? if not please reply and I will try to explain, it's a complex topic to answer is one short thread.

WRB

I was posting when you posted this and I missed it.Very good post!

Thanks for all of the explanations, WRB that made sense to me. I am talking about Kerr Lake in northern NC southern VA. I thought that with the water cooling the fish would be making the transition to shallower water and when I read that it threw me for a loop.

Bass will related to structure in some form or another be it on the structure or over it; I think what was meant was the bass wouldn't be located on the structure itself. During the fall the shad will migrate into covers by following creek channels; creek channels are structure. Keep in mind not all bass will follow migrating shad but some will stay on off shore structure year round; just like some bass will spawn off shore never seeing a shoreline.

Structure is a portion of the bottom that is different from the surrounding area, like bars, humps, creek-channels, riprap, and submerged points of land. A structure fishing situation consists of a structure, breaks, break lines and deep water. Breaks are things on the structure's bottom like stumps, rocks, weeds, logs, and bushes. A break line is a line or lines along the structure's bottom where there is a defined increase or decrease in depth, either sudden or gradual like the edge of a channel, hole or gully. There are other break lines too, like a weed line wall, a brush line, where two bodies of water meet which differ in temperature, color or water current.

I have never heard of this, except when it comes to the fall bassin'. I have heard over and over again that in fall, once the water temps get cooler, that bass will school(size dependent meaning little bass will school with other little bass and so on and so on) and they will chase the schools of minnows. In spring I have heard that bass relate to shallow warming water, the post spawn they relate to deeper water adjacent to the shallow warming spawning flats. Early summer they will come back in warm water shallows, mid summer they will move out to deeper water either relating to bottom structure/vegetation or suspend over deep water at the thermocline depth. Then in fall they will move shallow to feed but during the day they will move out deeper and chase bait. But today I was catching bass right off the bank in less than 5' of water today.

Jeremyt you should go to Kerr this weekend and take a look. You can find all the brush piles you want. The lake level is at 294. This will make you a better fisherman knowing were all that stuff is located. If you go just be careful because you can see humps you never new existed. I went a few years back

when it got down to 286 and man I couldn't believe the stuff I had been missing.

Don't forget that structure may be something close to shore, or in a creek, not just something considered deep or off shore.

A prime example, lots of creeks have drop-offs or depth changes. You will often see bass set up on a subtle "structure" in a creek in the fall so they can ambush bait as it passes or is washed by in any present current. In tidal situation a subtle depth change in a creek may be the ticket when the tides are going in or coming out.

I'm thinking that the article you read was trying to say that fall bass often are chaisng bait or move to where the bait is, could be open water.....

Good topic!

Just from what I collect from this post,the article has probally been written up,referring to Lake Norman.Could it be written up,referring to a specific species?Maybe spots?On Table Rock,spots and sometimes LM will be mixed in,suspended under pods of bait 30 ft. deep in 120 ft. of water.These fish aren't relating to any structure,unless you consider being close to a main channel bend "structure".They are relating to baitfish.Spots are known "chasers",not ambushers.LM often become chasers as the fall patterns start to cycle.

You guys know I preach know thy Shad, if you can track the annual movements of your source of bait, you will be successful in finding bass year around.

Very good points posted.   I would agree with all.      I would like to point out that juvenile bass can and will school on and off throughout the summer.    There are times in the fall, that all statements mentioned are found to be true statements.

Shad migrate to the shallows late evening, and leave the shallows early morning unless low light conditions are maintained during the spring thru early fall, once the temps drop, shad will migrate to the back of creeks for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason is: there are more plankton blooms in the creeks than in the main lake areas in the fall.     The sun has moved futher from our region, thus the sun doesn't penatrate the warmth needed to cause the micro-organism to bloom,         Bass eat shad, shad eat planktons, its the food chain in the simplest form.

Remember, the larger a bass gets, the lazier it becomes, thats not saying they won't school, they just don't burn the calories when they do school.     They are more apt to wait in the creek channel  bends and such and wait for the shad to come to them.  

Matt

Matt

Don't forget that structure may be something close to shore, or in a creek, not just something considered deep or off shore.

A prime example, lots of creeks have drop-offs or depth changes. You will often see bass set up on a subtle "structure" in a creek in the fall so they can ambush bait as it passes or is washed by in any present current. In tidal situation a subtle depth change in a creek may be the ticket when the tides are going in or coming out.

I'm thinking that the article you read was trying to say that fall bass often are chaisng bait or move to where the bait is, could be open water.....

Good topic!

Structure by definition is anything that is permanent and covered by water including the bottom from shoreline to shoreline. Isolated structure is structure elements that are part of the main structure; like a rock pile on the bank, point, hump, island, creek or river channel, rip rap, wing dams etc. Trees, weed beds, floating docks, etc, are generally considered cover. During the fall the bass migrate along the bank, over and around points, along creek and river channels, around and over humps and islands, anywhere were baitfish or other prey is available. Schools of bass will attack schools of bait fish in open deep water away form any cover or structure or near cover and structure. Bigger bass prefer the bait fish to be trapped between the structure and surface of the water.

WRB

Good topic!

Structure by definition is anything that is permanent and covered by water including the bottom from shoreline to shoreline. Isolated structure is structure elements that are part of the main structure; like a rock pile on the bank, point, hump, island, creek or river channel, rip rap, wing dams etc. Trees, weed beds, floating docks, etc, are generally considered cover. During the fall the bass migrate along the bank, over and around points, along creek and river channels, around and over humps and islands, anywhere were baitfish or other prey is available. Schools of bass will attack schools of bait fish in open deep water away form any cover or structure or near cover and structure. Bigger bass prefer the bait fish to be trapped between the structure and surface of the water.

WRB