Sign in to follow this  
Tyde one

Lipless Crankbait

Here is the scenario. Slightly cloudy, high of 56. Nne wind at 6mph. Fishing a lake with a lot of rock bottom. No grass. Buckbrush.  Gimme some pointers on where to pull out the bigguns.

if you can find some points or drop offs i would start there with a lipless crank to find the active fish then pin point the cover they are useing and pitch a jig at em, really you want to find the area they are hold where the shallow water meets the deep.

What is your water clarity?  If the water is clear, I would recommend burning a trap very fast on any change in water depth (points, ditches and ledges).  I would then slow down and fish very "fishy" spots with a suspending jerkbait and follow up by dragging a football jig to pick of the remaining difficult biters.

If the water is stained, no doubt I would grab a Storm Original Wiggle Wart and crank the points, ledges and ditches leading to spawning flats and cover as many likely travel routes as possible until you find them.  You may also be suprised at how shallow your fish can be if the water is colored as well, and you may want to look for spawning flats.

What species of fish are dominate in this body of water will also determine my tactics.

Take care,

Steve

The water clarity is probably going to be non existent. They are expecting rain two days before and this thing has two rivers running into it. But the main lake where im going to start my morning should be less affected.

Largemouth, and brownies

I would start with a crank and if that doesn't work I would break out a football jig.

High of 56 dosn't really tell me much... thats a warm day up north and cold down south.  What is the current water temperature?  Off of that you can base your approach on whether or not the rain is going to warm or cool your water.  If your water is cold and you get that much rain and it warms the water, the murky water will also hold heat better.  I would go to where the warmest water meets the sunniest shorelines.  But if that cools your water down much then the fish are probably going to move out a little deeper and I would focus more on points... all depends on the water temperature though.  Bluebird sunnyy skies with a NE wind wont help either way though.

Spawning flats located on the north shore. If you can find a ditch or drain that say is 4-6 ft deep in an area with a general depth of around three I would start where that ditch drops into deeper water and continue working progressively shallower. Concentrate on the lips of the ditch.

What is your water clarity? If the water is clear, I would recommend burning a trap very fast on any change in water depth (points, ditches and ledges). I would then slow down and fish very "fishy" spots with a suspending jerkbait and follow up by dragging a football jig to pick of the remaining difficult biters.

If the water is stained, no doubt I would grab a Storm Original Wiggle Wart and crank the points, ledges and ditches leading to spawning flats and cover as many likely travel routes as possible until you find them. You may also be suprised at how shallow your fish can be if the water is colored as well, and you may want to look for spawning flats.

What species of fish are dominate in this body of water will also determine my tactics.

Take care,

Steve

Tyde if you are talking Greers, this guy nailed it all the way down to the wiggle wart!!

I can't believe I didnt write that response. HE is exactly dead on and that is what I have been doing. Traps, jerks, eakins jigs, and wiggle warts in deeper stained water.

But for the traps, I fish points that form a small flat before dropping off into a channel. I dont burn it.