Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

Bass spawning locations

hey i was just wondering, do bass return to the same place to spawn each year? i was wondering that because i remember the exact same bed i caught my PB off of and i plan on returning come spring ;)

you've got to remember that the males make the bed and females don't choose the same mate year after year. so even IF a male made a bed in the same spot, the same female isn't likely to be there.

Bass will spawn in the same general area but not in the exact same location of last years nest. Keep in mind last years nest has went through a whole year of environmental changes and may very well not appeal to the male again.

good point bizz

thanks

and catt, thats what i meant lol, i should have specified. i was pretty sure they didnt spawn in the exact same spot, but i was wondering if they spawned in that general area.

I would mark that spot on your map so you don't forget.  I would try that spot or around that area again.  You might have found a gold mine in that spot.

One thing I have noticed is that fish might not spawn exactly where they were the year before but I have noticed and caught year after year the same SIZE fish off of specific pieces of cover. For example on one lake near my house, the past 4 years now there has been a piece of plywood on shore and partly in the water and there is about a foot of aqua under it, and every May, for about 6 days, there is a four to five pound fish there on a bed just infront of the plywood. I doubt it is the same fish every year because the first year the fish was 4-14, and this year it was 4-4. So it is almost like certain size fish, will tend to favor the same thing.

Just another quick weird example, I know a nearby lake in CT. where there is always a three pound fish with on a bed on TOP of a rock, not near or around, but on this big flat rock.

I agree with tin. There seems to be the same sized fish on the beds year after year. And I wouldnt be surprised if the beds are made as close as a couple inches apart as the year b4. I have a place I go where every year I pull a 5lb smallie.