Sign in to follow this  
macjiger

New crankbaits

I'm in the process of buying new lures for the up coming season. I have a lot of spinnerbaits and cranks that got beat up last year. I replaced the spinnerbaits already but need help with the cranks. Last year I was skeptical about buying lucky craft lures, but this year I'm ready to try them. I will still buy some rapala shad raps and x-raps, but I want to buy a lc pointer 100 and possibly another lucky craft. My question is what color pointer is best for clear, deep, cold water? The bottom is rocky with a steep drop-off. Any other crankbait recommendations are welcome aswell.  

Ghost Minnow is an absolute killer in clear water. Chart. Shad and American Shad are good colors to have as well. Get a pointer and a Clunn 2.5 DD and you will be set. Last year the Clunn 2.5 was on fire.

Rapala X-rap I like the color patterns Olive and also the color silver/blue.

Rapalas: DT's (specifically, DT4/DT6), Bluegill, Red Crawdad, Parrot, Blue Shad.

Bomber A's: Pick a color, too many have worked. Cheap & they work.

Bandit 100/200: see Bomber A's.

Xcalibur XR50 Lipless

Spro Arukushad/Arukushad Jr.

Sexy Shad and Ghost Minnow for cranks.

Always blue and chartreuse crank.

Crawfish color crank.

Pointers are to mimic a sick or injured baitfish so go with the baitfish colors that are in the body of water.

Always put an "O" ring on your Shad Raps.  Use a snap, no swivel, for better action.  If you have to use a swivel, make it a barrel snap swivel.

Replace small Shad Rap hooks with larger hooks, too.  :D

if your in around 3-5 feet of water, a Heddon Big-O is killer for both small mouth and large, i caught my biggest smallie on it ( 4.4pounds)

also for deeper water a Rapala Rat'L'Trap seems to do the job. i experimented a lot with that bait, and i found that if the weather is cooler, such as a cold-front, then a reel'n'drop technique is very effective- just let it sink down to around the depth your looking for and jerk your rod up, let it sink, jerk your rod up, let it sink, jerk your rid up etc. a 6.5 foot spin-cast with 10 pound line does the job :D

in "clear, deep, cold water", i know of no better two hardbaits than the pointer dd and the rapala shadrap.

they will work anytime of the year but, they are staples here from november til march.

pointer DD in ghost minnow. Can't beat it in clear water. Like someone else said RC 2.5s are wicked and BPS is having a sale on them at their spring classic. I think they're on sale for around $11.

I second but in Copper Green Shad RC 1.5 Killed on that bait, just about everywhere! It's the one on top!  Expensive, but productive.  Throw near  visable cover and logs, and/or rocks....SWEET!!!!!  Got one stuck in my arm last year...hooked on a dock, and yanked...blam!  Had to cut the barb, and pull through the other way....OUCH!  Pretty darn sharp hooks though...which is great for hook-up percentages.

Peace!

post-12561-130162880273_thumb.jpg