Sign in to follow this  
mattp_76

Bass tackle advice ...

Hi Guys ..

I am very new to Bass fishing.

I live in United Kingdom and reguarly fish the south coast...plenty of nice sea Bass down there.

I am looking at various tackle, methods and baits, particularly used in America as I am sure there are techniques used here which are overlooked in UK, that could be successful.

Any tips, advice would be appreciated ...

matt

Matt, if I am understanding correctly, you are looking for advice for sea bass tackle. This forum focuses on freshwater bass, so I'm not sure how much anyone will be able to help. I know I can't! Welcome to the forum.

Guest avid

My understanding is that sea bass are bottom feeders.  Our bass are predators.

I think you should run a search on saltwater sea bass, and see what you come up with.

cheerio mate.

Sea Bass? Hmm I don't fish for Sea Bass, but I do fish alot of salt water. From what Ive seen Sea Bass hit small peices of blood/sand worms and will also hit small peices of clam, the rig they use for sea bass is similiar to a porgy rig. Here are some rigs used for sea bass from my belief. http://www.thefishingline.com/fishing10.htm

I have barely any experience in fishing for sea bass, but I have played around with porgy/ blackfish. The baits/rigs I have listed are what Ive seen people use while catching sea bass/porgy. Anyways I hope my comment helped you and good luck out there. Also if you haven't already noticed this forum/website is mainly about Freshwater Bass. But if you want to talk about Sea Bass I would consider posting in "Other Fish Species" And yes they are bottom feeders, so I wouldn't bother with any type of lure for them, live bait is probably the best way to go, unless of course you can find sometype of Gulp bait that works well, such as the Gulp Sandworm (which I have never tryed).

You have any striped bass down there? If so rig up whole clams and just let the pole sit a hour or two. (Also you should use "clam wrap" to wrap the clams around the hook, this way the clam doesn't tear off the hook easily) I tryed this summer 2-3 hours a night with whole clams, but all I caught were some skates, and a couple dogfish. Although last year I hooked 2 decent ones right off the beach with the clams, so maybe 2006 just isn't a good year for summer striper ;(.

Welcome. There's always someone in this forum that can help.

Though I'm not familiar with sea bass in the United Kingdom

the sea bass in the states are called "Black Sea Bass" and are a saltwater species.

If you're interested in Where, When & How, you've got a choice,

try the "Other Species" forum or shoot me a PM, I'm very familiar with sea bass.

My wife with a couple sea bass

seabassLois.jpg