Sign in to follow this  
ptomacbass

Deep structure fishing in shallow canals?

I know this sounds stupid but have any of you guys ever fished "deep structure" in shallow canals with no weeds that are about six feet deep?

If there are straight walls on the side, cast parallel down the edge to find out if the fish are holding close. If they are this pattern simplifies your casting directions and keeps your bait in strike zone most of the time.

Big O

i tried that yesterday with a jig and ragetail chunk. I got one that was about two pounds.

I do know of a spot where a tree fell and then it was cleaned out. About a week ago i used a carolina rig there and felt my weight going over all of these branches left on the bottom.

Try this: ala Catt and 4 Bizzle, FISH DEEP TO SHALLOW>> changed the way I fish, much for the better. Find the deepest part of the channel and toss it in the deppest part, and fish back to you shallow. Keep the bait moving and in contact with the bottom, oh and hold onto your rod, one of mine is in the lake, on the freakin bottom ::)

Try this: ala Catt and 4 Bizzle, FISH DEEP TO SHALLOW>> changed the way I fish, much for the better. Find the deepest part of the channel and toss it in the deppest part, and fish back to you shallow. Keep the bait moving and in contact with the bottom, oh and hold onto your rod, one of mine is in the lake, on the freakin bottom ::)

thanks, i'll try this near the remains of the old tree this afternoon.

I know this sounds stupid but have any of you guys ever fished "deep structure" in shallow canals with no weeds that are about six feet deep?

Structure is good regardless of depth.  My favorite spot to fish is a rip rapped bottom inflow from one pond to the second pond.  There is a drop from 1ft to about 5ft at this inlet.  It's all covered in rock.  Feeding fish constantly move up to this little drop off to find food that is brought directly to them.  I cast up into the inlet and bring my bait down the current.  

My second favorite spot is in the first pond of the chain mentioned above.  A small creek flows into it, however, since the bottom is not rock that creek has created a channel.  The bigger fish hang out in the bottom of that channel.

So, I think I answered yes to your question that structure fishing works very well even in shallow water.  I look at the above spots as little "micro" structures that hold bass because the remainder of the pond is like a bowl with no other discernible structure.