Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

Gender differences in fall bass patterns?

From all that I have been reading in magazines, as well as my own observations on local lakes, the classic fall event of baitfish moving to the backs of creeks and inlets - followed by gorging largemouths-  is well underway.

I was able to exploit this scenario with pretty nice success yesterday.  However, the fish I caught...though nice ones.... were still 'male sized'. I would *assume* that the larger female fish would also be following these baitfish to the backs of creeks and inlets, would they not?

It would make sense that they would (to me at least), but I wonder if they hide in different places, hunt differently, or are active at different times of the day.

Any ideas?

School size bass in the 1 to 2 lb range are not all males, they are young adult bass of both sexes. The larger adult bass size bass; 3 to 5lbs for example are not as aggressive at chasing baitfish schools around the lake. The key is to locate compression zones where the larger bass tend to wait for the smaller school bass to push the baitfish schools to them for easy meals. The larger bass aren't lazy, they are more experienced and let the smaller bass do the chasing.

Try using larger size spooks or Sammy's over points where you see baitfish activity. If the bite isn't top water, then try a larger size shad color crank bait. If the bite is deep, then use a structure spoon and let fall through the baitfish school when near structure areas.

WRB

Schoolie bass of any size will be of both sexes & yes bass up to 5-6 lbs will school & case shad.

If schoolies refuse top water baits, try a Wacky Worm with a split shot about 12-14 above the hook; let it fall through the school. Other excellent choices are Strike King's Rocket Shad Spinner Baits, Mann's Little Georges, & Baby Flukes with belly weighted hooks.

You're both wrong,....those are all males, the females are out shopping,....fall sales and all... ::)

I tend to agree with this, as no matter how sharp your eye, or your amount of training: unless over 6-pounds it's anyones guess at male or female without careful study, unless you catch them shopping.

Some of the shad in the back of the creeks I have seen in recent weeks are small, very tiny, and the bass ratio to keepers vs. juvies has been mainly on the juvie side.

We have stayed on larger baitfish that haven't hit the back of the creeks yet to find the better bass consistently.   I'm mean when you see six inch gizzrd shad flying out of the water, its no brainer.

Find bigger bait and your likely to find better bass.