Sign in to follow this  
bflow_6

Need some hellp with the bass in my lake

I need a little help. The lake I am fishing the bass seem to be holding under shad balls and feeding on the shad. The only sure way I have been able to catch them is to rip a spinnerbait in to the shad then let it flutter down. This isnt always successfull. Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to target these bass that are feeding on the shad?

Try a Strike King Rocket Shad or a Mann's Little George  ;)

Along with those, try crank baits and traps.  One that nobody uses any more is the old Johnson Silver Minnow and believe it or not, it still works.  ;)

I seem to have read a couple of recent articles from *** about dead-sticking a senko during such a phenomenon. Per the article. cast it into the middle of the bait ball and let it fall straight through it on slack line. Then you wait for the big ones that lie in wait under the ball to pick it up. The big fish do not want the ball to break up so they wait patiently for the ball to move a little and then scour the bottom for fish that were either wounded or are hiding at the bottom.

I have no personal experience with this - just passing on information.

Good luck!

I dont know how deep the shad schools are, but one thing I have found to be successful when Bass up here are locked in on balls of Herring in 20' of water or deeper is a Jigging Spoon or a Silver Buddy worked very aggressively.  If that doesnt work a wacky rigged Senko or Fluke type bait should work as Rich K stated.  

I need a little help. The lake I am fishing the bass seem to be holding under shad balls and feeding on the shad. The only sure way I have been able to catch them is to rip a spinnerbait in to the shad then let it flutter down. This isnt always successfull. Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to target these bass that are feeding on the shad?

use a shad lol

I seem to have read a couple of recent articles from *** about dead-sticking a senko during such a phenomenon. Per the article. cast it into the middle of the bait ball and let it fall straight through it on slack line. Then you wait for the big ones that lie in wait under the ball to pick it up. The big fish do not want the ball to break up so they wait patiently for the ball to move a little and then scour the bottom for fish that were either wounded or are hiding at the bottom.

I have no personal experience with this - just passing on information.

Good luck!

X2. I read this also.

A deep diving thunder stick, shad color, works GREAT for me when this happens. You have to have the deep diver to get under the schools. Get a long cast beyond the school, rip the bait down to max depth, and start working the bait under the school making it look like a injured shad.