Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

Going Deep

There are tons of baits and techniques out there that help us catch deep water bass.  Im curious to see what was the most help to you other guys in catching deep water bass.

What was the most helpful thing you did to catch bass deep?

Learn to drop-shot and read electronics...

Before this year I wouldn't fish over 20'. I had to learn how in order to do well on Champlain and spent a lot of time on it. I now have zero fear of the deep stuff and caught smallies suspended in over 100' of water this year. My main range when I'm looking for them in the summer months is the 30-50' zone.

Being able to see a fish in 35' on the bottom, knowing how big it is, what it's doing, and knowing if you drop your bait down you will catch it is all the confidence I need.

Read everything ever written by Buck Perry.

Learn your electronics. Even the cheep ones can be useful if you know how to read them.

Don't be afraid to spend hours just looking.

Keep a marker buoy ready at all times.

Read everthing ever written by Buck Perry.

Fluke

PS

Read everthing ever written by Buck Perry.

What was the most helpful thing you did to catch bass deep?

For me it came in stages

1965: At the age of 14 my Uncle Joseph Addison who was a master at structure fishing in the Gulf of Mexico started tutoring me.

By the time I hit Toledo Bend in 1972 I was quite familiar with open water, Little Green Boxes, & a Texas Rig.

1974: Joined two bass clubs whose members included John Torian, John Hall, John Dean, Villis P "Bo" Dowden SR, Harold Allen, Lonnie Stanley, Larry Nixon, Tommy Martin, & Zell Roland

1976: Attended a seminar in Houston Texas that totally changed my outlook on bass fishing. The man putting on that seminar was Elwood L. " Buck" Perry, not only did I buy his books but I became a devout student of his teachings.

That's the who's now for the what

I was introduce to night fishing in 1973 and have continued until the present. These years of having limited or no visibility has heightened my awareness of what is taking place below the surface. This heightened awareness has made me better at fishing deep water where feeling the bite is harder than finding structure.

Uderstanding the bottom. I got an Aqua-vu camera and after that I was able to understand more of what my electronics were telling me. When I would go over something I would throw out a bouy and go over and over the area to learn the "lay of the land" so to speak. then I will drop the camera down and see what was there. Has it helped me catch more deep fish, YES. Will it help someone else, YES.

With all the different structures from shallow to deep on the St. Lawrence river I found I was leaving a lot of fish behind when fishing just the shallows as had been the norm for many years.  

Using maps and C-rigs got things started.  Then with better depth sounders, GPS chips, and dropshotting it made the search and catching of deep water fish a lot easier.

I agree with Baron. My GPS has become really revolutionized my structure fishing. I use it to find the structure, then I use my finder to pinpoint the sweet spots on the structure. Before I would look at my maps and idle around trying to find the structure but it was like trying to find a needle in a hay stack on some of the huge bodies of water I fish. (St. Lawrence, Ontario, etc.) Now I can pull right up on the structure, troll around and figure out if its worth fishing in a matter of minutes. I can also run from spot to spot without trying to line up this island with that buoy or this house with that dock...etc. What a time saver...more fishing and less trying to find! One word for all that fish these bodies of water...Gobies!!!

MD, when you troll around looking at your electronics what makes you decide whether or not it looks like a productive area?

You said sometimes you will check it out and leave, or stay to fish it.  If anyone else has input that would be great too!

Interest Started in the late 70's and guys from Catt bass club were fishing machines. Guys Like Bill Dance and the Linders credited Buck Perry for there fishing.

And in my late teens I'm thinking if I'm to beat that group Buck Perry is somebody that I need to understand.

You have read every word Buck wrote mostly miss quote in the wrong context. I'm sure Catt has read articles and knew the author had no clue.

Buck mostly gave  me the big picture, how the layout of many structures might be, how the fish might get there and why they might stay for some time.

Garnet

MD, when you troll around looking at your electronics what makes you decide whether or not it looks like a productive area?

You said sometimes you will check it out and leave, or stay to fish it. If anyone else has input that would be great too!

Sorry, I guess my thoughts didn't get written too well. One example is the offshore humps that I like to fish. Some of these humps are just all sand, mud or big slab rock with nothing on them. These can usually be eliminated fairly quickly depending on the size of the hump. The better ones have some sort of cover on them...for either bait(ex. chunk rock) or fish(ex. boulders, weed beds, etc.). I find the better ones have a combination of at least two types of cover.

That being said, I'm never just on my trolling motor watching my graph, I'm also throwing a search bait to FEEL if there's anything out of the ordinary on an individual hump. It may be a lone boulder, an individual weed bed, a shell bed...etc. These can be the "sweet spots". I like a C-rig to get a good feel of what's going on down there as well as watch my graph.  On the shallower humps, I'll sometimes use a crankbait to feel around as well as watch my graph because I can cover water faster. If it seems to have all the right ingredients to hold fish but I haven't caught much off of it after using my confidence baits, I'll check back a few times throughout the day as the fish may move on and off these structures to feed.  

We fish alot of for deep fish in the winter here in North GA mostly with spoons. The biggest key revolves around finding them on your electronics and being able to decipher what is catchable and what isn't. To be honest there will be very little doubt when you see this on your electronics.  (forgive my water temp readings I had a temp sensor go on the ritz:) )

xplosion4.jpg

xplosion3.jpg

OR SI if you prefer

nov2fish.jpg

shadow2.jpg